Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have trouble setting up 3.73 Ford Racing gears for an 8.8 lately? I have a set that I've shimmed the pinion anywhere between .015 to .050 in .005 increments and it won't pattern right. I even tried them in a different case, same thing. New gears by the way.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice but I've set up many rearends. What I'm getting at is, maybe they had a bad run of gears or something. Just wondering if anybody else has had a problem with them lately.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As it turns out on a face hobbed style gear a little diff in backlash makes big differences in the pattern. Never had B/L change a pattern that much. Learn something new every day!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
did yo uhave to go wider? I have had a couple sets that made a little noise at .010 and under. I try to shoot for the high side, about .015

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up at .012 It was at .017 when I was trying different pinion depths and it wouldn't come around.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
interesting, usually I start with a .030 under the pinion and side shim to the desired BL then check my wear pattern. I have had good luck doing them this way, unless they are Richmond.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting indeed! Usually I set the pinion depth as long as the B/L is in the ball park and then fine tune the B/L and all is good. I did start with .030 interestingly enough though. Give me a good old 9" anyday. Err... aa... you know what I mean! NO LAUGHING!!! LOL

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had the same issue with a ford set of 3.73's. We could not get a pattern to save our souls. Ended up with .012 of backlash. Going to run it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts