Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting the 69 T/A CMoly chassis car out and it has a 9" cowl hood. I was basically guessing nobody was in the way when pulling through the staging lanes at Route 66 for license passes this week because of the cowl on the hood you can't see anything to the right once the helmet is one due to the F/C cage and being strapped down. I saw pictures of a couple of cars with tall cowl scoops on them with holes cut in the front which I am thinking would at least let me look through and see if some phuckstick is stepping in front of me or the car to the right swings left. I am concerned about the air coming through trying to lift the hood off my mid 8 second car and I wanted to get the opinion of some guys that are going faster and hopefully someone has pictures or input on what they have done. I have pictures of the car but no hosting location. Thanks

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
A friend had a 79 Capri back in the mid 80,s, after a pass he came back to the pits and I was waiting for him and he plowed right into a 55 gal. drum used for a trash can..when he made the turn the scoop hid it the whole way. It trashed the fibeglass front end. Just have to get used to looking around it.

·
Montgomery Ragland
3,016 Posts
same problems here, with me being so tall and having to sit so low in the car to clear the cage add that with a 6" cowl and the hood is dead lvl in the middle of my vision. I had to get another set of eyes for me not to run into stuff around the pits. I almost ran into a pole on the turn off (right turn) the other night. Radio's and another set of eyes does wonders. Down track is another issue.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly what I am hoping to avoid here or worse some kid on a scooter tooling around or someone else's car. I know I saw a couple of cars with what looked like openings cut in the front of the cowl for air and I was thinking that I might be able to at least see somewhat out of them through the cowl. I am thinking of a repaint this year and I don't want to have to do this a third time. I have some more pictures but not sure how to get them posted here as I don't have a host.

·
On the roller...
15,880 Posts
Small mirror on the passenger side of the cage so that if you look over there it's angled forward and you can see the other side of the cowl.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks like I will try the mirror idea. I might try modifying the scoop this winter also to slim it down some. I originally planned to run air cleaners on top of the dominators but the front won't clear anyway. Thanks

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Small mirror on the passenger side of the cage so that if you look over there it's angled forward and you can see the other side of the cowl.

Use two good sized mirrors and you can make it look pretty similar to having a hole in the hood....

Put one on the outside of the funny car cage pointing forward and one right where you would want to look through the scoop....

Keeps the images from being reversed

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You have a PM!

Just thought about this.....

The guy with the black blown C6 on here, Danny Humphries, used to drive this car:

If I remember right he put one of those stick on lenses that RVs have on the passenger side window. You might try to PM him and ask what he used for sure.

I think it's something like this:

http://www.cylinderservices.net/catalog.asp?prodid=489646&showprevnext=1

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
There's a local guy here who has a big (probably 8-10 inch) mirror mounted over on the passenger side. Took me quite a while to figure out what the hell it was doing there, but once I got it it made perfect sense.

Or, you can just rely on people to get the hell out of the way when they see you coming thru the lanes. :p

·
**BOOSTED SBF***
3,303 Posts
When I was running a full height Pro Mod scoop on my nitrous car it was a nightmare to see over. I had the paint and body shop that did the work on that car bond the scoop to a 6" hood with the back tapering down. It "improved" vision but not by much. Neither of these setups would work unless you were running a pro tree and it still almost required a little guess work. I could see the top yellow with the scoop bonded on the 6" hood but before you almost just had to guess at the tree or watch your opponent depending on which lane I was in but that made for some really bad lights.:( The scoop I had was 11" tall and when we trimmed it down, we may have lost an inch or so in the front and several in the back. You might consider having a good glass man do some mods to your hood and taper the rear of the cowl down enough to see over but that would more than likely add weight to your car. It did on mine anyway. I still had to add extra firm foam padding under the seat cover just to see the top yellow but it worked. The best solution I found was to build a new twin turbo car and just use a 5" cowl hood with no scoop.:p

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had a problem with a car that had a huge scoop. The problem was he did not see me!!!

Was driving to the staging lanes for Tech. in my s/c dragster during a National event. I rounded the corner by the fuel station (the Texas Motorplex) and I saw the car coming towards me. I was not sure which was he wanted to go, so I stopped. Well he wanted to go right where I came from. I realized we were going to hit. I had no way to dodge by the time I realized what was happening... trust me.

Threw shifter into reverse hoping I could back away... too late Did not bother hitting t-brake button. Took hands off butteryfly wheel and watched a 75k$ s/g car impale itsself on my dragster. Dented a frame rail on my car and scuffed a tire... tore up his front end bad.

He said never saw me at all. # NHRA tech guys saw it happen and they really looked over my car at tech.

The really bad thing is... he was pitted next to me!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.