Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at Jesel sportsman shaft rockers for SBF high port heads, anybody use them? Comments?

This is a street engine, blown 331 going in a mustang cobra. Just looking for comments on fit, quality, etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
For street and lots of miles , I would consider steel rockers. Better longevity than aluminum that work hardens and has limited lift.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It depends on how much stress is put on the aluminum part to determine the parts lifetime.
RPM, camshaft aggressiveness etc.. all determine stress levels on the rocker arm.
A well designed aluminum rocker arm (Jessel, T&D, WW, and others) in a milder street application may have an indefinite time before failure.
Look at the DC-3 aircraft. The aluminum air frame was over engineered and has a very, very long lifetime.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not high ports, but I have run the Jesel SS rockers on my sbf with AFR heads since they were introduced in 2001. This is a street strip application with hydraulic roller. (140 on the seat 400 open) In that 19 years they they have racked up 20k miles and have been trouble free. Best rockers I have ever used.

·
Registered
54,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not high ports, but I have run the Jesel SS rockers on my sbf with AFR heads since they were introduced in 2001. This is a street strip application with hydraulic roller. (140 on the seat 400 open) In that 19 years they they have racked up 20k miles and have been trouble free. Best rockers I have ever used.
Awesome, exactly my application. Thanks you have helped me greatly.

And I dont understand the aluminum issue, I have used aluminum rockers on my cars for over 20 years, no failures.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
For the past 10 year’s I’ve used Jesel SS shafts on a 393W that was in various combo’s with solid rollers and automatic/stick combos. Last Fall I lost a rod which ruined the bottom end. Last 3 yrs I’ve had a Stick combo in the car and added a Racepak data recorder last Spring. Lift on the cam was .672 and on the recorder I was shifting around 7,200-7,480 a lot of the time. Upon taking the blown up engine apart the Jesel SS shafts all looked/felt fine. I plan on using them again in the future

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The crower steel shaft rocker is the best rocker for the money on the market. Really nice piece, used it in my last dragweek combination for over 5000 miles and everything was still in excellent condition. I checked the bearings a few times in them and everything was mint.

·
Registered
54,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The crower steel shaft rocker is the best rocker for the money on the market. Really nice piece, used it in my last dragweek combination for over 5000 miles and everything was still in excellent condition. I checked the bearings a few times in them and everything was mint.
No doubt they are the best for the high port in a full race application. In a occasionally driven street car that will never see past 6500, a bit overkill I think.
Plus I hate dealing with Crower, they are the worst businessmen on the planet. In a full race deal I would use them without hesitation.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
The stainless Crower shaft rockers fit the High Port head the best. There are issues getting the other rockers 'correct'. Hard to beat if you can part with the extra cash. Buy once, cry once. lol I bought them through Summit on one of their old 10% off deals, and they were drop shipped from Crower.

They are going on my 363. Heads are at the machine shop now getting Heli Coils for a little extra insurance.

When adding shaft rockers to High Port heads, it helps to mill the heads for pushrod clearance, as it can be an issue. When purchasing the heads through Trick Flow, they will do for an extra charge. Back when I bought mine, it was $75.

·
Registered
54,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not eveyone is happy with the Crowers in this application:

If I were building a high rpm race motor, I would definitely use them, set up hassle or not.

Crower has not been good to me in the past, had a one year long struggle with a crank years ago. They have to have the worst business management on the planet. I just dont want to do business with them for this motor.

I am going with T&D.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
No doubt they are the best for the high port in a full race application. In a occasionally driven street car that will never see past 6500, a bit overkill I think.
Plus I hate dealing with Crower, they are the worst businessmen on the planet. In a full race deal I would use them without hesitation.
Well some could argue that a shaft rocker is overkill for 6500 rpm. If you are spending the money on a shaft rocker, the crower steel setup is only $100 more than jesel/t&d, and no wait time. Summit shows a shipping date of 4/20. I think of the three companies, they all have positives and negatives. I have T&D stuff now and I really miss having a fine thread on the adjuster when i lash the valves. Their customer service was about on par with crowers IMO.

·
Registered
54,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, it is overkill. I am trying to keep the original valve covers, and stud rockers wont fit.
If I have to use an aftermarket valve cover, I have to space the upper intake higher. Then I lose the stock hood.
If I can avoid giving money to Crower, I will. They are my last resort.

·
Long Live The King
100,086 Posts
upper section and valve cover clearance ...

Are you using something like this:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts