Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have this cut of meat in SoCal but I cant find it in TX! They do it on the grill like a steak and put a type of porterhouse on it. Cant Find!:smt102

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
FYI - found this on the internet.....

For years the beef tri-tip found itself being ground into hamburger or cut into cubes and sold as soup meat. The reason for this is that there is only one per side of beef and in the days when butchers carved their own meat it was considered a waste of display space to sell the tri-tip by itself. Now that the carving is done by packers you are much more likely to find the tri-tip at your local butcher. If you don't, ask for it. This often over looked piece of meat is not only relatively inexpensive but also very flavorful and has become a favorite amongst the few in the know.

I know a lot of people who complain about not being able to find this cut. In past almost all of it was shipped to California or ground for sirloin burger patties. With the recent interest however, you can find this cut in many places including the large shopping club stores like Costco and Sam's Club. If you have to, try calling around. It's a great cut of meat and worth the search.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the read- I believe it was bought at Costco -

Im wondering if it is called something else down here?

·
Registered
166 Posts
It is also called "bottom sirloin butt". It is located adjacent to the "ball tip roast". Give your butcher this number "IMPS/NAMP 185C (and D)" and he should be able to look it up. "C" has fat cap, "D" is trimmed. I personally prefer to trim off the majority of the fat prior to cooking.

·
Registered
638 Posts
When I moved back to Georgia from CA I couldn't find them anywhere. I did find a local butcher that could get them, but it took a few days. He had to call me when they came in. I do a few a year in the summer.

I also found an actual tri-tip at Sam's in the meat area, but it was pre-seasoned and I didn't like it. I prefer to do my own seasoning.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Here is more info:

United States
In the United States, this cut was typically used for ground beef or sliced into steaks until the late 1950s, when it became a local specialty in Santa Maria, California, rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and other seasonings, cooked over red oak wood and roasted whole on a rotisserie, smoked in a pit, baked in an oven, grilled, or braised by putting a pot on top of a grill, browning the meat directly on the grill surface before and after the braising. (The tri-tip is still often labeled the "Santa Maria steak".) Most popular in the Central Coast of California and Central Valley regions of California,[1] it has begun to enjoy increasing popularity elsewhere for its full flavor, lower fat content, and comparatively lower cost.
In New York City, the Florence Meat Market has popularized the name "Newport steak" for a steak cut from the tri-tip.[2]
Tri-tip has also become a popular cut of meat for producing chili con carne on the competitive chili cooking circuit, supplanting ground beef because the low fat content produces little grease, for which judges take off points.[citation needed]
Tri-tip is a close cousin of the culotte steak, which is cut from the top sirloin.

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
mmmmmmmmmm tri tip, marinaid in a bag with whatever you choose for a day and throw it on the grill, damn good eats.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your avatar is what gave away your identity. I recall you used that for quite awhile on HB. Posted a message to you in the "biscuits and gravy" thread a while back.

--Oldsquirt--

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
Your avatar is what gave away your identity. I recall you used that for quite awhile on HB. Posted a message to you in the "biscuits and gravy" thread a while back.

--Oldsquirt--
I must have not seen it, how are you??

Her454 is the one that turned me on to tri tip.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Doing OK. Still playing with the jet boat. You?

Got turned on to tri-tip by my now brother-in-law back in the early 80's when he had a BBQ catering company. He had gotten turned on to them by his dad who had retired in Santa Maria, Ca., the home of the tri-tip. Always cooked them on a grill until Traci showed up with the big barrel cooker which was perfect for cooking large quantities.

My mouth is watering now and the weather is perfect for a little grilling. Think it's time to go grab a tri-tip. ;)

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
Doing OK. Still playing with the jet boat. You?

Got turned on to tri-tip by my now brother-in-law back in the early 80's when he had a BBQ catering company. He had gotten turned on to them by his dad who had retired in Santa Maria, Ca., the home of the tri-tip. Always cooked them on a grill until Traci showed up with the big barrel cooker which was perfect for cooking large quantities.

My mouth is watering now and the weather is perfect for a little grilling. Think it's time to go grab a tri-tip. ;)

I still have my disco money pit, sitting in cold storage right now.:(

I am thinking I need to hit up my butcher friend as a tri tip might be the ticket for super bowl sunday.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I just did my first Tri Tip this past weekend... awesome!!! I'm in Florida and have always read about it and seen it on TV associated w/ SoCal. In Publix the other day, they had 1, just 1. So I grabbed it! Put a simple dry rub on it consisting of Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Onion Powder, Cayenne Pepper, and some smoked Paprika. Let it sit overnight, grilled it on the Weber using Hickory wood chunks set up in an indirect grilling method. Took about an hour, 2.5 lbs, pulled it off at 135 internal temp, let it sit... man it was awesome! I hope I can find it again... I'd love to do one up at the races!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I cut through 8-9 a day here in Austin. They average 2--3 1/4 lbs after trimmed and they are pretty good actally. I too didnt really like them until all the californians that move here showed me a couple things about them

·
Registered
36 Posts
I do mine on the electric smoker about 4 ot 5 hrs; using a soaked mix of applewood, hickory & mesquite. I season the cut according to what I feel like that day. Hard to beat on taste and tender.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts