Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Unoffical YB Fundraiser
14,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty big tree in my back yard and it has roots that range from less then an inch to about four inches that run all over the yard. I want to put in a walk way in with landscape timbers but I would need to chop up some of the roots. My question is will it hurt the tree ? Its about 80 feet tall and I dont need the tree to die in a year because I chopped out some roots.

·
I forgot what to do next!
6,090 Posts
It shouldnt die it has a main tap root that is probably half as deep is tree is tall you should be gtood however they may regrow and push up your walkway.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
It should be fine. I cut a bunch all around a large Maple tree a few years back to build my shop, put a driveway in, and a trench for a water drain. It's still healthy as ever.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would be more worried about the walkway pushing up or cracking in a few years than the tree dying. It has plenty of other roots, removing a few that are within a foot of the surface shouldnt do any damage.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
It shouldnt die it has a main tap root that is probably half as deep is tree is tall you should be gtood however they may regrow and push up your walkway.
Most trees do not have tap roots. The pines and those related to them do. Most do not.

·
On the roller...
15,867 Posts
:rolleyes:...well, obviously my advice isn't good enough?
You're like Australian Kevin, aren't you? :)

I'd like to know tree type of if you don't know, post a pic...

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
Yeah I am no arborist but even I know if it is a big tree and has all of those surface roots then it is bound to be a tree without a tap root.

You can take a picture and show it to an arborist and get them to give you an educated opinion on how much cutting it will stand, I also doubt it will kill it but better safe than sorry, I also would assume that spring is probably the worst time to cut roots on a tree because this is when the tree is most active and the demand on the roots at its highest, of course thats only an assumption.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
Speaking of assumptions and educated guesses, I have a big ass tree in my back yard (about 80ft crown) and its roots were surfacing and running all over the yard (made it impossible to mow around the tree). The tree also looked very sickly (late to bloom, diseased limbs falling constantly)

Since the soil is mostly clay and the yard has about an inch of fertil topsoil I assumed this was one of the reasons for the surfacing and crazy growth. I read several articles on fertilizing trees and got a big auger bit and made a 3" round by 18" deep hole every 6 ft and filled them halfway with tree fertilizer, then added about 10 yds of topsoil to the area around the tree a depth of about 10 inchs at the tree trunk to about 2 inchs 15 ft out. Since then I redrill and fertilize every 4th year. This was about 12 years ago and the tree looks great, it is always one of the first to green instead of the last and the roots have not resurfaced nor do they seem to have grown much either.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^This method is used here in Florida to break through the "hard pan" (silt layer) which is typically found inland at several feet below natural grade. Trees installed using this method are much less likely to blow over in high winds.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^This method is used here in Florida to break through the "hard pan" (silt layer) which is typically found inland at several feet below natural grade. Trees installed using this method are much less likely to blow over in high winds.

Fragipan, level of compaction usually found around 3', one of the few things I remember from college :yawinkle:

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
You sir, are correct.

Yeah, we run into that around here alot, causes sewage problems on places with multiple residences and septic tanks. It can also cause problems when planning a pine plantation. I just finished doint some "pruning" to about 50 acres with plans to thin around 360. Will get pics posted asap.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts