Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have inherited my father's rifle and I would like to change the scope
mount. The problem is knowing my father the screws were put in with lock tight.

Is there anything to put on the lock-tight like a releasing agent that won't mess up the bluing, or should I just take it to a gun smith and have him drill them out and retread the mounting holes. The heads of the screws are straight blade and they seem like they will strip the heads off if I don't do something with the glue!

Thanks in advance.
Rich.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
all you need is about 225 degrees to melt the stuff. Never thought about a soldering iron, and that's a good idea.
gary

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah thanks guys. I got together with an old timer and he used a little butane torch with a low heat setting from the chamber side, They came right out. Thanks YB.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Yeah thanks guys. I got together with an old timer and he used a little butane torch with a low heat setting from the chamber side, They came right out. Thanks YB.
I had one of those butane torches that electricians use on circut boards, and it had a very fine tip on it. Still I never thought about a generic electric one for some odd ball reason. Another way if the parts are small is to dunk them in boiling water for a few minutes (in this case it wouldn't be a good idea). Loctite used to sell a fluid that they used for cleanup and also to soak threads to get them to release. I heard it was nothing but model airplane fuel. Just remember that you never want to heat the surrounding metal if at all possible, as it will usually shrink when it cools; making the fit even tighter.
gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts