Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for feedback from people who have used a Transmission Specialties powerglide. I am looking at there proline 2000 or 2500. This will be going in a mustang coupe with a turbo LS1 making 550-650 whp, 2800 lbs., on 325 drag radials.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I've sold a few of these - to fellow, local racers... 555ci BBC's making mid 900 HP .. 3400lbs... motor only class... Absolutely zero issues. One was just pulled apart for inspection after a season.. ProLine 2500... Looked brand new inside. You will not hurt these trannies at that power level... Good for 1100 to 1200HP (they've got all the good internals, Proline 2500)... Just don't ride the Transbrake for 5 minutes on the line ;) Oh, the people at Trans Specialties are super helpful too - will set ya up right the first time. Let me know - I can price ya one and send you to the right guy at TSpec for tech info if needed.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
19,728 Posts
Offer your opinion , do not lay out a sales pitch on my forum. You don't see me doing it.
To answer the asked question. Trans Specialties makes a lot of great parts and im sure their transmissions are equally as good.

Hutch

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Great people to deal with.

I have use transmission specialties' parts [I rebuild trans myself] but I have not purchase complete transmission from them.

...word of advice....Don't exaggerate your vehicle combination otherwise you will get wrong stuff.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The Proline 2500 is the better of the two transmissions.
It's better because the gearset has the 1.80 straight cut gears and the drum has 8 clutches instead of 6. The most important part is the 4340 input shaft is the weakest link and we put the M300 in the 2500. 1 last thing....The 2500 has a deep pan.

The proline 2000 is a good trans but for the extra few hundread bux the 2500 takes away a lot of the weak links. We use the 2500 in applications clear up to 1200HP and it holds up to weight as well with the m300 shaft.

Hope this helped!

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,947 Posts
I use their 2500. Made 250 passes on it after I first bought it, had my guy take it apart, all he did was replace seals, no wear inside yet. About 515hp to the wheels, 625+ on N2O, no issues. I don't use the trans brake though (except to back-up). I use Mobil 1 Synthetic trans fluid.

·
Registered
694 Posts
You can't/shouldn't run Spragless on the street. We would put a Mechanical Diode in it which is a pretty good piece.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I mean, in theory, it will work....

But the idea of the sprag/diode is to keep the heat index down . By eliminating this feature you are adding to the generating heat. It works fine when comming off the trailer and going a 1/4 at a time. Never heard of a heat problem yet.

I imagine you would begin to see problems after 15+ minutes of driving.

Do you have a temp guage? in the pan? Sounds like you don't do much driving on the street.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
I mean, in theory, it will work....

But the idea of the sprag/diode is to keep the heat index down . By eliminating this feature you are adding to the generating heat. It works fine when comming off the trailer and going a 1/4 at a time. Never heard of a heat problem yet.

I imagine you would begin to see problems after 15+ minutes of driving.

Do you have a temp guage? in the pan? Sounds like you don't do much driving on the street.
Temp guage? What's that. Shit don't get hot in 10 miles of driving.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Offer your opinion , do not lay out a sales pitch on my forum. You don't see me doing it.
To answer the asked question. Trans Specialties makes a lot of great parts and im sure their transmissions are equally as good.

Hutch

You are absolutely right Hutch.. Sorry about that. Got a lil carried away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts