Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
A Fine Example For Others
36,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle in question is a 69 Barracuda. I'm using a 727 with a blanket due to constraints of installing a trans shield, no room.

Would I be NHRA legal to install the shield on the inside of the cars trans hump?

Just looking for a bit more protection from my ticking time bomb.

Thank you

·
36,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about the double post. Still figuring the new boards format out.

·
36,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. The shield has to be attached to the transmission.
I was afraid of that answer. There has to be a way for me to use a trans shield with having to cut the trans tunnel out and fabricate a new tunnel Would be nice to leave the body of the car in its factory stock form.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm using the Lofgren blanket, but will be forking out the dough for an SFI case (TH400 or rumors of a 727) in the future. I still melt the straps on the Lofgren.

·
Registered
65,772 Posts
Vehicle in question is a 69 Barracuda. I'm using a 727 with a blanket due to constraints of installing a trans shield, no room.

Would I be NHRA legal to install the shield on the inside of the cars trans hump?

Just looking for a bit more protection from my ticking time bomb.

Thank you
Are you married to the Torqueflite in the car? If not, get a SFI appoved 400 turbo main case and SFI approved conv housing. No blankets / no shields.

·
Banksters Paradise
5,044 Posts
So you want to run both the blanket and a shield? Well then if the blanket by itself is nhra legal?, then why not just bolt a shield over the tunnel anyway as extra protection.

·
36,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

To answer some of your questions, and the direction I'll be pursuing with my transmission.

1) Launch - wanted to get rid of the blanket so I'm not retaining heat from the blanket.
2) Horndog - good suggestion with the Turbo 400 SFI case. I began researching this approach and came upon a thread about a new SFI 727 case. As luck would have it, it slated to go in production at the beginning of next year. The company is DNJ Componets. Anyone heard of them?

Here's the case.......

·
Registered
65,772 Posts
That's great to see for you Mopar guys that want to keep it all Mopar. I've not heard of that company. Hope they are successful with it !!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
CSR composite shield should fit under stock floor

You can lose the weight and expense without losing heavy-duty protection with CSR Super Shields ! These lightweight flexplate/transmission shields are designed from tough aerospace composite allowing them to weigh in under 5 lbs.--with hardware! They are also designed to fit under stock floorboards. Installation is easy with the bolts and Kevlar safety retainer belt included. CSR offers shield coverage for just your flexplate, too. Forget heavy, costly cast aluminum bellhousings and cases. Instead choose SFI-approved CSR Super Shields for the win!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have had a CSI/CSR shield in my factory floor pan car since ~2001. While it does it’s intended function and kept me from having to cut up the car it was a MAJOR PITA to do trans. R&R. Turned a 30 minute job into a 3-4 hour job. Getting the top bolts in and out SUCKED!!

Last year I went to an SFI transmission case. It was the best investment I have made on the car in a very long time. KICKING myself for not doing it a long, long time ago.

Jason G.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
CSR composite shield should fit under stock floor

You can lose the weight and expense without losing heavy-duty protection with CSR Super Shields ! These lightweight flexplate/transmission shields are designed from tough aerospace composite allowing them to weigh in under 5 lbs.--with hardware! They are also designed to fit under stock floorboards. Installation is easy with the bolts and Kevlar safety retainer belt included. CSR offers shield coverage for just your flexplate, too. Forget heavy, costly cast aluminum bellhousings and cases. Instead choose SFI-approved CSR Super Shields for the win!
Hell would freeze over before I ever use one of those nightmare POS shields again. You have to grind and cut on them to make them fit. Best to just step up to an aftermarket case. You'll never look back.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Its a racecar. Cut the floor and make the tunnel bigger. Then use a economical and strong aluminum shield. You''ll be a lot happier when you need to do trans maintenance. Best thing I ever did.
Doug

1 - 15 of 15 Posts