Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Beer makes me pee
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another project Like I really need one LOL. Putting a old school 327 into a 49 chevy truck.It used to be a logging truck in the 60s and will not go over 50 mph down hill. He blew up the original 6 on the freeway (go figure) Trying to go 55. I was thinking about getting a 4l60 or a 4l80 for the lock up. Any ideas? Dont wanna get a built trans something availiable in the junkyards

·
Beer makes me pee
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a certain year I should look for? I had a guy tell me you can hook up a toggle switch on the dash to put it into od.

·
Beer makes me pee
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has a 4 speed with a granny first in it right now. Not sure how that would mate up with the new transmissions. Just seems easier to pop in a automatic. I just need to fab some mounts.

·
e85 & injection guru
5,391 Posts
smart box trans cntrller and a 48.
what frigging gears in rear?
the work trucks were geared steep!
last old 1 ton i did had a 5.14 set ,3speed straght 6

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
It has a 4 speed with a granny first in it right now. Not sure how that would mate up with the new transmissions. Just seems easier to pop in a automatic. I just need to fab some mounts.
you need a computer to run the 4l60 and tps sensor on the carb to tell it when to shift

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I put a 350/700r4 in a 260Z and all I had to do is hook 12v to one of the the terminals on the side of the trans. On the 700r4 it has a 4 terminal plug on the side of the trans. if you supply 12v to the correct one it will let it lock up. But you got to make sure the TV cable is adjusted properly.

·
Beer makes me pee
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe a 700r4 would be easier. But would it stand up to a heavy ass truck?

·
Beer makes me pee
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so a 700r4 and a 4l60 is the same transmission?

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
That would be on the 4l60E, The 700r4/4l60 does not need a computer. It just needs a 12v supply to the proper terminal at the harness connector.
yea i know .but thats not what he asked ...he would have to get it built to hold up in a heavy truck and the 12 volt is for the lock up for the converter if he buys a non lock up converter he dont have to

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
a 4L80E or a 4L60E is a computer controlled transmission. in the past yr of so alot of company's have come out with nice controllers for these transmissions, check out TCI, B&M, bauman engineering. there was a feature on the different companies in the last issue or 2 of chevy hi perf. magazine. they are pretty straight forward to install and tune. As far as you finding a junkyard unit, unless you know where its from its going to be hard to get either unit to bet money on. a 4l80e is leaps and bounds not even on the same class as a 4l60 (think th400 vs th350 or mectric200) but a 4l80 is only available on HD stuff. most of these trucks are work trucks so id say your in just as much as a gamble to find a cherry peice of either sort without opening it up. If you didnt want to go the route of a computer controlled trans you can go with a 700-R4. a 700r4 would require a detent(kickdown) cable and a converter lockup kit that b&m and other offer and its easy to install adjust and the converter is locked with a toggle switch. if you wanted to spend the money you could put a th400 with a gear vendors OD bolted to the back but its more money.

if you do decide to go 4l60E stick with a 94-97 case, its a half bellhousing like a traditional GM trans. 98+ went to a full bellhousing. and a 4L60e is modern version of a 700R4. alot of hard parts are interchangeable with each other and look very similar.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
sorry i walked away form posting that so some of the questions are already answered.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you gonna spend that kind of money to install a 4l80 or build you a good 700 ...i would get a allision

i think the 327 this guy has couldnt turn a allison lol.

a rebulilt 4L80E w/ new converter and controller could run you 2-2400$ depending on whos building it.

a built up 4L60e would run you slightly less but wouldnt hold a candle to it.

·
Beer makes me pee
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would the allision bolt up to a old 327? Opps slow typer lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts