Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy this reprogram kit, Transgo PG-2S, but don't understand how this kit can be either full manual control or automatic shifts?

Also does anyone know if this kit removes the vacuum modulator?

Thanks

Bruce

·
Registered
781 Posts
The TransGo kit uses spacers to block the shift valve open. Installing or removing the spacers allows you to go backand forth to auto or manual shift.. TransGo likes to keep the modulator hooked up for pressure regulation thus the modulator will stay.
This kit works OK on the street but if you are making good Horsepower than get a Real manual shift valve body, they are available in forward and reverse shift patterns.......

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually just called them and they said the same thing, as long as you don't use a trans brake, you can use this kit for racing.
He also recommended hooking the vaccum line up and if I recall, he said this helps relieve some of the pressure in the tranny during idle??
He said you have two options, full manual or automatic and if you go with the full manual it will stay in low gear until you shift the thing.

Bruce

2,155 Posts
I actually just called them and they said the same thing, as long as you don't use a trans brake, you can use this kit for racing.
He also recommended hooking the vaccum line up and if I recall, he said this helps relieve some of the pressure in the tranny during idle??
He said you have two options, full manual or automatic and if you go with the full manual it will stay in low gear until you shift the thing.

Bruce
Yep, if you talked to Gill or his son at transgo they are pretty smart people, I have never hooked up the vacuum line. How much time does a "race car " spend idling anyways? This is a good option if your on a budget as it is less than 1/2 the cost of a full manual VB, and takes less than 30min to install.

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure whom I talked to, but anyways he was pretty insisting that I run the vacuum line, which doesn't matter to me, I just needed to know what their thoughts were on that.

Bruce

·
My little SBC...
2,690 Posts
How much time does a "race car " spend idling anyways?
Just to clarify: All the time driving to and from the lanes and sitting in the lanes ready to pull into the wate box.

This can be more time than actually under power; but, I agree: is the wear issue anything to worry about? Perhaps not, but it can add up in a street car.

I like the feature in most cars, but most transmissions I build are for streetable cars.

I run a TransGo kit in one trans I use in my car (TH400) with a vacuum line attached and have had no issues at over 1000hp.

Jim

2,155 Posts
Just to clarify: All the time driving to and from the lanes and sitting in the lanes ready to pull into the wate box.

This can be more time than actually under power; but, I agree: is the wear issue anything to worry about? Perhaps not, but it can add up in a street car.

I like the feature in most cars, but most transmissions I build are for streetable cars.

I run a TransGo kit in one trans I use in my car (TH400) with a vacuum line attached and have had no issues at over 1000hp.

Jim
I agree with the TH400 you had better have the vacuum line on them or the pump rings will eat them selves alive, never had a issue with the TH350 or a PG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts