Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Off the stands for 2018!
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is boring stuff compared to discussing dental hygiene of the Brits, but it is pretty important to me right now.....;)

Long story short......my new convertor build missed the 5500rpm stall by a mile. With only about a month of time left to run this season, and little time to work on my heap, I want to leave it in the car until seasons end. The only way I have found to make the car leave anywhere close to respectable, is to get on the two step early......like for 2 - 2 and a haft seconds before letting it rip. Is this going to cause me problems, or am I good to go for the next 4-5 weeks of racing?

My car is heavy. Getting on the two step when my tree is haft way down gets me a 60 foot of 1.37 - 1.38 If I get on it shortly after both lanes come to full stage, my 60 drops to 1.29 and the car feels almost like it should.

I don`t want to hurt my trans any more than the usual wear and tear, but this 1.37ish 60 foot stuff sucks.

What to do????

·
This space for rent
3,320 Posts
Should have ran a stick with a heavy clutch then you pick your RPM

·
Off the stands for 2018!
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should have ran a stick with a heavy clutch then you pick your RPM
That would be a lot more fun for sure.:cool: After being out of this game for a long time, I thought a mid 9 second bracket car would be fun. I might install an FM radio so I have something to do between bumping high gear and hitting the stripe. Used to run a few stick cars back in the 70`s.....lots of fun, but lots of wrench time too.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,170 Posts
2 SECONDS ON THE CHIP....IS THAT THE QUESTION

·
FHRITP
50,686 Posts
If it's not coming up on the converter fast, as in you have to keep it decked for a few seconds to get more RPM you have some engine tuning to do. Sounds like it's either fat, or you need to verify you're getting WOT when you put it in the wood.

·
Off the stands for 2018!
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it's not coming up on the converter fast, as in you have to keep it decked for a few seconds to get more RPM you have some engine tuning to do. Sounds like it's either fat, or you need to verify you're getting WOT when you put it in the wood.
Motors not fat, WOT verified. This transbrake stuff is completely new to me, and I need to learn a lot about them. I got my new convertor, had it in the car same day, and went to the track. Started with a 3400rpm chip in the two step, it was a pig. Went to a 4000rpm chip, still a pig. Accidentally got on the two step sooner once, and discovered a totally different launch. Only then did it dawn on me to check the flash of the convertor I ordered. I checked like fender mender suggested to test it to someone else here once, and that process was verified by a good racer I know at the track. High gear hit from an idle. Checked it 3 times. Flashes to exactly 4000rpm.

·
Off the stands for 2018!
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Post the gopro vids on the tach.
Got the roll cage mount, the go-pro never showed up.:(

Had a young feller take a bunch of pics and short video clips at friday night test and tune. He was supposed to send them to me before now, but his dad grenaded his motor right in front of me friday night. No pics/video yet?

·
FHRITP
50,686 Posts
If holding it open a few seconds longer netted a little more rpm, Id almost bet it needs a little more timing or the tune cleaned up. Just my .02. I just went through soemthin simililar with mine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts