Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after this weekend , i'm curious how hot others are getting transmission before you go to the line....? at local track ' when i roll in off the street , trans will be usually around 150/160ish (surface temp with scanner) this past weekend with sitting for a while between passes and cool temps , trans would be lucky to get above 90.....even after driving thru pits for a little while. once the car started making rounds , temp was starting to go up ....not as hot as usual , but then again it was fairly cool out. as temp went up , car started jumping more numbers than usual. and 60' went down ...and .....well you know the rest. ;) yesterday was same deal... goes fast one round ....loses almost a tenth the next.... figuring its gotta be trans or tires ' and tires were biting pretty good for my turd.....

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
What were you 60' per round, and how fast is the car. I had a trans temp gauge in my car once and after watching it yo-yo for a weekend and worrying about it I took the damn thing out.

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
slow ass street car (see avatar) when its hot out , will usually go 1.78-1.82 (depending on which track i'm at) ....when it was hot car was running 8.0's / teens. now that its cooling off its 8.teens / 20's.... 60' went from 1.92 to 4th round 1.87 this past weekend it started off 8.40's and went down to a 20 at the end of the night....i know car is a little lean being on the 2bbl , but slowing a tenth one round and going under .8 the next sucks....especially when i was hitting the tree pretty good......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
983 Posts
What were you 60' per round, and how fast is the car. I had a trans temp gauge in my car once and after watching it yo-yo for a weekend and worrying about it I took the damn thing out.
:smt023

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
I used a trans temp gauge to determine if my warm-up routine was consistant. Don't really concearn myself w/ actuall temp...by the time you realize the temps are too high or learn what is too high, you can't really do much about it. (at least for me w/ a race only set-up)

Surface temps really won't help you learn too much.

What trans, and are you leaving from idle or loading it any?

You also have to do everything the same everytime for the same amount of time before you run. You need to replicate temps as close to the late rounds as much as possible early in the day. Tires can make things very inconsistant.

Carb settings and general tune-up can play havoc on consistancy.

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a trans temp gauge to determine if my warm-up routine was consistant. Don't really concearn myself w/ actuall temp...by the time you realize the temps are too high or learn what is too high, you can't really do much about it. (at least for me w/ a race only set-up)

Surface temps really won't help you learn too much.

What trans, and are you leaving from idle or loading it any?

You also have to do everything the same everytime for the same amount of time before you run. You need to replicate temps as close to the late rounds as much as possible early in the day. Tires can make things very inconsistant.

Carb settings and general tune-up can play havoc on consistancy.
350 Turbo....leave @ 1700....use a rpm switch with shift lite, that goes off when I reach 1700....

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
350 Turbo....leave @ 1700....use a rpm switch with shift lite, that goes off when I reach 1700....
Ton of wiggle room...You could easily wire in a two-step using your brakelight switch w/ a toggle to turn it on and off. When I was still foot braking a street car I had a conv that would go 2500. Launch as high an rpm as possible w/o it creeping. That was really the only way to make sure it was conistant w/ my combo. You may need to play w/ it some.

·
TEAM CARB
45,241 Posts
warm mine up to 120 in the morn...warm it up right before 1st burnout to 130...by the end of burnout its to 150 on first pass...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I dont even look at mine anymore, its never above 140 anyways. A big factor in trans temp and et moving around is the fluid gets hot and thins out which changes the converter stall, some setups just flat move around with thin fluid.
What fluid are you running ? A good fluid such as Amsoil or Mobile 1 syn may help if not fix your issue if your running a cheaper fluid.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I have always wondered about wiring a two step to the brake switch,I use two shift lights right now,one is my launch rpm and the other is shift.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
I have always wondered about wiring a two step to the brake switch,I use two shift lights right now,one is my launch rpm and the other is shift.

It is more consistant than the shift light...BUT, some tracks go overboard w/ NO electronics rules. I even used line locks on both sides of the master cylinder. But I really didn't like that way of doing it...plus there were the whiners who accused some of us who did that of having a delay box as well. Which we didn't have of courese.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts