Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mikes ultimate C4 transmission. I am currently having a cavitation problem. However I don't notice any slipping issues. I have been driving the car on the street for the past few days and it appears to issues, except with a hard shift every now and then. I checked the fluid and it was past the fill mark, with air bubble, so I drained about a 1/2 quart out took the car for a drive and then rechecked the fluid and there was nothing on the stick. I started adding back fluid and now all I get is foamy fluid. I drained the pan and about 5 quarts came out which, should be the correct amount.

I am looking for ways to check the trans without taking it down to a trans shop.

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
Draining a 1/2 quart from the trans should not remove the oil from the stick. Is the trans vent free? Before passing judgement , you must fill the trans properly.

Hutch

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Draining a 1/2 quart from the trans should not remove the oil from the stick. Is the trans vent free? Before passing judgement , you must fill the trans properly.

Hutch
I agree which is why I am so confused on this issue. I drained the fluid about 2 years ago and added the correct amount (I drained about 5 quarts and then put in 5 new quarts, then warmed up the trans and check the level, which was correct). A few months later the motor broke and the car sat. It did not leak out so if it is low then it either evaporated or somebody removed fluid without me knowing. I didn't question myself when I removed fluid the other day because I thought maybe I didn't get it up to temp last time and slightly over filled it.

I have talked to the builder of the transmission who states that I should verify the dip stick and that 5 quarts should come out when draining the pan. I verified this with my trans the dipstick is correct per his directions and when I drain the pan about 5 quarts came out. In my conversation with him he said if the above are correct then he suggest me bringing the trans is so he can look at it. This guy is about 2 hours away and I don't want to drive 4 hours to have him say everything checks out. So I'm looking for other test or things to look at before I spend the time to take the trans out and drive it down to him. My issue is from driving the car I don't notice any problems... I only because aware of a potential problem due to the notice cavitation.

The vent is free and clear.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little more info.....the way I stumbled on to this is I took the new motor to the track. Had a horrible time getting the car to hook up, but the end result was a best pass of 11.62 at 118 with a 1.9 60 ft. The car should have ran mid 10s at around 130. Do I started checking for issues to see why the car didn't mph like it should have. I ran the numbers based on the numbers and it results in a 9.4% converter slip. The car would only get to 6500 by the time I reached the traps. So I am not sure if I have an issue with the motor not make the power it did on the dyno ( motor appears to be good) or if so
Etching is not applying that power such as the trans slipping. Or maybe the car didn't mph because of the gearing and traction issues I had. However, either way there is something going on with the trans due to the I know cavitation issue.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I agree which is why I am so confused on this issue. I drained the fluid about 2 years ago and added the correct amount (I drained about 5 quarts and then put in 5 new quarts, then warmed up the trans and check the level, which was correct). A few months later the motor broke and the car sat. It did not leak out so if it is low then it either evaporated or somebody removed fluid without me knowing. I didn't question myself when I removed fluid the other day because I thought maybe I didn't get it up to temp last time and slightly over filled it.

I have talked to the builder of the transmission who states that I should verify the dip stick and that 5 quarts should come out when draining the pan. I verified this with my trans the dipstick is correct per his directions and when I drain the pan about 5 quarts came out. In my conversation with him he said if the above are correct then he suggest me bringing the trans is so he can look at it. This guy is about 2 hours away and I don't want to drive 4 hours to have him say everything checks out. So I'm looking for other test or things to look at before I spend the time to take the trans out and drive it down to him. My issue is from driving the car I don't notice any problems... I only because aware of a potential problem due to the notice cavitation.

The vent is free and clear.
Geez. It would be nice if you originally said the transmission was this old.

At least 87 and a half bazillion things could occur in that time.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geez. It would be nice if you originally said the transmission was this old.

At least 87 and a half bazillion things could occur in that time.
Didn't know there was an experation date for transmissions. Do your transmission not normally last more the a few years?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Didn't know there was an experation date for transmissions. Do your transmission not normally last more the a few years?
Yes many more than a few years.

But there are different areas to look at and consider.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes many more than a few years.

But there are different areas to look at and consider.
Then I don't understand your comment

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spun a few bearings. The old motor ran mid 11s. The new motor makes a little bit more power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts