Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 4L80E w/transbrake going into a turbo car and was wondering what fluid I should run? Redline ATF? or JD Hygard?

·
Smoked another CTD
3,951 Posts
We have always used Castro Trans fluid.

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
I run JD Hygard in my 80e either the regular Hygard or the Low vis I have used both with great results.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
We've run 20wt Amsoil Compressor Oil in our Rossler & ProTorque converter for two years now with zero issues and low heat. It's clear and no smell. As someone else mentioned, a lot of guys run the John Deere HyGard hydraulic oil also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a circle D multi-disk Lock-up converter for my 80e (Car does a fair bit of street time) and I've read that tractor fluid will eat up the lock-up clutch. Any truth to that?

Anyone ever try Redline D4 or D6?

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,058 Posts
Bump, about to put an 80E in my crown vic. Is the hyguard okay in an 80e if I don't lock the converter WOT? Or is it bad for the converter lockup regardless? Or is it perfectly fine?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I tried the hygard in my trans this summer. Not sure if it's related or not, but within a few hundred km I had converter noise. Took it out and put it over a bucket for a few weeks. Drained the fluid off and there was a pile of black material left that I'm assuming is lockup clutch material. I will be going with a non-lockup converter next year, but will probably stick with dexron 6.

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
OK, dumb question from a guy considering a 4L80. When drag racing, if you run the clutch unlocked, are you hurting your et"s? In my current 700R, I have the lockup clutch wired so I lock it up in 4th, manually. Since I only run 3 speeds, am I loosing et's? Would the 4L80 be the same? Sorry for the hijack!

·
Smoked another CTD
3,951 Posts
OK, dumb question from a guy considering a 4L80. When drag racing, if you run the clutch unlocked, are you hurting your et"s? In my current 700R, I have the lockup clutch wired so I lock it up in 4th, manually. Since I only run 3 speeds, am I loosing et's? Would the 4L80 be the same? Sorry for the hijack!
Depends on how good your converter is. If the converter is right lock up will not gain much but some MPH. If it is not right it can help. Now we use lockup in diesels because the narrow low rpm power band. Do lockup wrong and it will be wicked hard on parts.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I had no issues with regular Dexron in my 80E. Put Hygard in and first pass had issues on the 1-2 shift not being sound (lost the sharp edge at the bottom of the shift). Drained it twice but it never fully recovered after that. It's now on the floor to come apart as the last pass on drag week it slipped badly on the 1-2. I wouldn't run it in an 80E. Chris C. warned me it might be an issue on the 1-2 and I'd say he was right.

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,058 Posts
Interesting. Wonder why it did that? I know 1-3 are the same in a TH400 and 80e, and my 1-2 shift is perfect in my Th400. Only thing I ever read could be a problem is the lockup. I know one person that used hyguard in their 80e issue free.

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,058 Posts
Great. Cause I didn't wanna have to completely flush my trans lines. I'm gonna use hyguard again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Chris, shift extension on my converter is about 600 rpm. It is a little loose on the big end as well. I have read that the Hy-Gard will help tighten a converter a bit. How much truth is there to that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts