Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, curious how many of you are running trans coolers, and for those that are, how big?

I have a great big sucker on mine from when it saw street duty, thinking I probably don't need anything that big now, or maybe none at all?

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Yes run one...not sure of size & effectiveness, but figure it certainly does not hurt the tranny temp, & the weight is immaterial...we have a Glide, & do not have a tranny temp probe. If we have to hotlap with less than 45 minute turnaround time, we use a high volume leaf blower pointed toward the Converter under the car to cool down the tranny temp...went to Lowes & put a swivel tip on the blower to point the air flow exactly where we want it...seems to work, when it does not trip the generator fuse...LOL.

·
6,816 Posts
i dont use 1 and dont have any problems with tranny running

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
We took ours off. Had a 10 x 12 cooler and lines up to the front of the radiator. Weight of the lines and cooler were 7lbs, not including additional fluid weight. We will try running without. I don't feel that it will be a problem.

Paul Langlie

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys.

Weight is the exact reason I'm considering removing mine, trying to get everything I can out of this piggy...

One problem I have is I drive to/from the lanes, so perhaps I will need to keep at least a small cooler..

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
We don't run one either. The converter is what makes the heat in a trans, so the less you work the converter, the less heat it makes. That means tow the car when you can. To the lanes and back from the top. Idling in the lanes, not only heats the motor, it heats the trans. Obviously the longer on the brake, the more heat you make. Best indicator of tranny heat, is your hand on the converter. If you can lay your hand on the converter, you are not getting the trans hot and as fofo mentioned, a blower on the converter between rounds really helps

Monte

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,912 Posts
I use one, not everyone does. On Sundays I make 3 passes within an hour so stuff will get hot for sure. If I go rounds in both classes the same thing happens later in the day, back to back to back passes. No towing to and from the lanes for me. For those that can tow their stuff around and have time between passes, they don't need a cooler.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
10"x12" B&M cooler here.Not into towing the car around and occasionally take it out on the street.

·
Registered
499 Posts
10 x 12 B+M mounted under the car with a fan blowing downwards through it. Ran it that way for 1 and almost a half Drag Weeks, BUT running synthetic fluid. Most of the time we never ran the trans fan due to voltage concerns, Transmission never gave us any trouble.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
I don't run one
Make sure , if your trans doesn't have an internal bypass then you will need to make a loop line

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I run the big B&M cooler,added a fan and moved it to the rear back near the fuelcell

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've spent the better part of the day to remove the hoses and oil cooler from the car. Thanks for the tip. Has made ​​a loop too. :)

·
Horsepower and Hops
4,576 Posts
I run a 16-pass cooler with a fan in the bed of my elk. I turn it on on the return road and if I'm hot lappin it, I run the fan in the lanes while the motor is running and the temp gauge drops a lot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i have tried it both ways with and with out. i didn't see any benefit so we took it back off. we had the 16 pass with the built in fan. we tow to the line and tow back, so no benefit if the car is not running

1 - 19 of 19 Posts