Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
You can't overcool an automatic in a turbo car. Thats cooler is ok but it has limited surface area and is not as efficient as others but it is for sure way better than just an air/air cooler.

Hutch
Thanks for the info!

We currently have an air/air on the front, we are thinking about using both coolers and putting the air/air under the rear of the car. Can we do this? Was considering it because the car is street driven on occasion.

Thanks again for any input.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I was the one who built that tank and I think the size of the cooler itself is deceiving. That's a 5" lid opening so it gives you an idea how big the cooler really is.

If you were able to stretch out the surface area of that heat sink it would be equivalent to a 12"x30" (2.5') sheet of aluminum. There are also fins on the inside of the heat sink passages.

I'm really curious how well it works but I think it will be more efficient than some people might imagine.

Here's a pic of one Gilsbach made using similar heat sinks (he was using single pass, Fryguy's is double pass)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you guys are already running an air to water intercooler, use that tanks and get a cooler from chiseled. or one like it anyway. nice setup, works well for us. and it doesnt have an extra tank.
My intercooler and/or intercooler tank is already at capacity. We melt 100% of the ice in one pass, and we still have 10+psi left. That's why I didn't want to put it in the existing intercooler tank.

Many parts on the car are kind of close to the edge of what they should be doing anyhow, so I was just hoping to add this cooler and see how it works. I'll let you guys know next week.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My intercooler and/or intercooler tank is already at capacity. We melt 100% of the ice in one pass, and we still have 10+psi left. That's why I didn't want to put it in the existing intercooler tank.

Many parts on the car are kind of close to the edge of what they should be doing anyhow, so I was just hoping to add this cooler and see how it works. I'll let you guys know next week.

its a seperate box- doesnt goin the tank. and its small. we use one of the returns from the intercooler before it goes back into the tank. i thought i had a good pic of it, but i guess i dont. but if your usin the capacity of your system as it is, i dunno.

that gilbasch piece looks bitchin.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Transmission coolers

fryguy302.... you're on the right track for tranny cooler. This is my first post since being a longtime lurker, so bear with me. I'll try not to double post or steal your thread :eek:

This info applies to transmissions, intercoolers which you talked about and fuel systems. Maybe the moderators will switch some of it to the turbo threads. Hate to be bashed on my first post :confused:

Air to water heat exchangers are GREAT, depending on what is put into them. Many say ice cubes and after a run they make tea/coffee!

Here's some other choices for you to use for the above parts.

Dry ice/ Methanol -70*c/-108*f if you're affraid of the fire hazard of methanol use....

70% Glycerine/ Water -39*c/-32.8*f...... OR

Calcium chloride(salt)/ Water -42*c/-43.6*f

This applies to tranny coolers now, as the other uses require a bit more explaining.

Oh yeah, don't hook-up a line to your cool shirt with this stuff, get a new meaning for COLD, although the mixture can be adjusted to vary the *f figures.

Hope this helps...............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts