Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here ever take an Amtrak train ride across the country? I have about a month to burn this winter (feb 2009) and someone suggested a long train ride.

I'd be leaving from Cleveland Ohio to Chicago, then to Los Angelos. I'd then like to go to New Orleans, then Miami then back to Cleveland.

Any suggestions, travel tips, whatever?

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I'd like to hear more on this also,I have been thinking about a good train adventure.

Any links or info I'm interested.

Only thing,there are no train adventures here in Maine :confused:

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Portland Junction Maine has an Amtrak station, nothing further into the state though.

I've heard a ton of good things about taking a long trip this way, I'm not worried about being on-time just wanting to get out there and "be gone" for a while.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I live in DFW and where I work I cross train tracks and see the Amtrak come through almost daily, I would love to take a trip like that. Looks like a serioulsy relaxing way to travel, just let someone else drive and hang out in the bar and watch the country go by.

·
140th phuckstick bitches
13,678 Posts
That train, The California Zypher travels right by my place out here in West Bountiful Utah. Cool looking train, one day I'm gonna kill 4 days and ride it heading west from Slat Lake City too the bay and back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What about the cost of the train trip? just curious...
:party

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
So lets just say there was a train going to the SCSN in Vegas and one car was only YB members . Whats the odds of a derailment??:p

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
I rode from Texas to Chicago once as well as through Iowa and part of Nebraska...Train travel allows you to see the countryside and you'll meet some very diverse groups of people. And unless you can sleep in recliner-like chair, get yourself a private room. It's not uncommon to be on the train for 18-24hrs at a time.

You will enjoy it! Plan some day-or-two long stops along the way to see some Americana.

Rail travel and commerce is definitely making a comeback.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
I love trains. Many years ago (prior to Amtrak), I did the tour of the United States by train and had a super time. This was when the indiviual railroads were still in the passenger train service, and the trains had names. I left L.A. on Southern Pacific ("The Coast Daylight") to San Francisco, then caught another SP train ("The Lark") from SF to Seattle, then took the Great Northern "Empire Builder" to Minneapolis, MN, then took the Burlington "Zepher" to Chicago, then (if I remember), the Pennsylvania Railroad to Washington, DC, then the New York Central ("20th Century Limited") to NYC, then back to Chicago (can't recall the line) and then took the Santa Fe "Super Chief" back to L.A. It took about three weeks because I stopped to visit and sight see in all those places too.

Every place I ever went in Europe was via train, I never rented a car there. I like trains. I like drinking on them, sleeping on them, drinking on them, eating on them, drinking on them, riding in the dome cars, drinking on them.....

·
140th phuckstick bitches
13,678 Posts
The Zypher Without a coach room from Chi town too San Fran starts at $145ish with a booking a month ahead of time.... one way.
The return trip starts at $189 and go's up depending on what you go with for upgrades.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts