Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a new set of trailer tires (225/75R 15)
for my 24 ft trailer.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what tires to go with?
I have heard that it's better to go with an "E" load rated tire,although
it's a little harder to find for the 15" rim.
Also read on some forums that the Carlisle brand tires have alot of problems.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Bill

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had a tire shop once upon a time. The Goodyear Marathons held up really well. Depending on the weight of your trailer the load range E tires should definitely be considered. Sold a few sets of the Carlisle tires but not enough to hear of any problems. I have a 24 ft. enclosed and a 32 ft. enclosed and they both have Goodyear Marathons load range E tires on them.

Chris

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am looking to purchase a new set of trailer tires (225/75R 15)
for my 24 ft trailer.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what tires to go with?
I have heard that it's better to go with an "E" load rated tire,although
it's a little harder to find for the 15" rim.
Also read on some forums that the Carlisle brand tires have alot of problems.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Bill

You will not find a GOOD tire in that size, for the same reason its hard to find a load range E tire in that size, too little tire, for too much trailer weight.
Carlisle came on many trailers new, no they are not the best, but they are usually cheaper and come in an E.
You can get the goodyears in an E, but cost more, and still wont last long in that size.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Boy this is not a new topic. I run GY Marathons and since 1996 haven't had a failure yet on my 24 ft trailer. I never run more than a C rated tire due to excessive heat buildup in higher rated tires. During that time I also had a set of Towmaster and Carlisle tires on the trailer which worked fine. Traveled more than 600 miles one direction several times so it isn't a local tow every week. My friend has blow outs on his 24 ft trailer every 200 miles it seems. I have no idea why cause we haul about the same stuff. I do pay alot of attention to my tire pressures and I don't drop the trailer off the side of the road often. I just bought a set of GY Marathons last fall and these were made in China, marked on the sidewall. So much for made in the USA. RM

·
Registered
280 Posts
I recently replaced all the GY 8 ply Marathons to Carlisle E 10 plys. Just had too many issues with the GY's and needed to replace 3 due to drying out and cracking. Apon installing the tires I decided to check for axle alignment. It was terrible. All bolts were tight on the axles and showed no sign that they were or had been moving in the past. I suggest that if you have any problem with tires that you check out how your trailer company installed the axles. I does not seem as if if they take much care in locating the welded on brackest that the axles bolt to. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I never had any luck with any of the 15" tires regardless of brand or rating..(6-lug)
I would lose a tire every 400 miles like clock work...24' enclosed..
I had the trailer aligned and everything checked..not over weight..it was just a
tire eatin' son of a Bitch..!

a buddy who hauled for a living said the trick was to switch to the chevy steel truck wheels
that have the same 6 bolt pattern and get the 10-12 ply rated tire..they are 16" ..
he said it eliminated all the problems..
I traded the trailer in for a 32 footer, before I got to that point..

·
T/S 368E
33,581 Posts

Buddy works for tire company, he said use at least an E for a 24' and you should be fine.
I used to have problems with C's because I did over load the trailer. Since buying all new E's, no blow outs.
Never heard higher rating runs hotter, but I can call next week if I remember.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
A guy told my buddy who always seems to blow out tires that the higher rated tires build more heat, much like a tube tire does. Since I lost a tubless boat trailer tire that I installed a tube in to excessive heat build up that made sense to me. I am no tire genius though. RM

·
Registered
33 Posts
trailer tires

I have been selling trailer tires only for ten years,quit messing with any 15 inch tires go to a 16". I have 235 80 16 10 ply [15 inch rated at 2540 lbs at 65 psi 16 inch rated at 3520 at 80 psi] a little bit more of an investment but worth it. Alot of guys on this thread have bought product from me [I sell alot at milan dragway] ask them they will speak up . If you are really stuck on 15 inch I have the best pricing around. And by the way they are all made in china or japan sorry the way it is . Call me for a quote 734-341-3546 JERRY

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
This is scary! I had 3 blowouts in one weekend and don't know what to do.
Slow down or buy heavier wheels/tires.

When its hot and sunny not much you can do. I dont think you can buy a ST225 tire that is made in the US anymore. RV trailers have been blowing up those tires for years, I dont know a simple solution myself. I have blown up a few in a row, when one goes the rest are soon to follow it seems.

The E range tires are rated at 80psi, pretty sure the typical cheesy trailer wagon wheel isnt rated for that pressure..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts