Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's get some input on different methods and devices to deter thieves from stealing our trailers, etc.

We have to give the scumbags extra/multiple challenges so they will go on to the next trailer.....

Not looking for GPS info here, just mechanical methods, devices or suggestions......

Thinking of Leonard Long here......

Trying to be proactive........

·
Pro Spectator
5,550 Posts
At the bare mininum a locking device between the trailer wheels will at least slow thieves down and maybe cause them to make noise if they try to remove it and give someone a chance to notice them.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
How about just chaining the wheels together on both sides? Along with locking lug nuts and whatever else you can think of. It would at least give you peace of mind that there is a level of security.

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
I use a cloths pin as a switch wedged under the tire of my golf cart with the brake off wired to the 12volt wench battery and then to my trailer brakes then to a car horn mounted on top of my trailer if the trailer moves the golf cart will roll inside the trailer the cloths pin will close and a horn will sound and the brakes will lock. cloths pin .29, car horn $6.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Cut the wiring harness a foot past the plug that attaches to the truck. Make up a quick-click type of connector and solder that into the harness. When you park your trailer, simply unplug the 1 foot section of harness including the plug and toss it into your trucks glove box. When a thief tries to steal your trailer, he will have no way to attach the wiring to his tow vehicle. No brake lights, no brakes. He won't risk trying to take it at night.

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
Cut the wiring harness a foot past the plug that attaches to the truck. Make up a quick-click type of connector and solder that into the harness. When you park your trailer, simply unplug the 1 foot section of harness including the plug and toss it into your trucks glove box. When a thief tries to steal your trailer, he will have no way to attach the wiring to his tow vehicle. No brake lights, no brakes. He won't risk trying to take it at night.

Not much of a deterrent, especially if its stolen during the day, so if they come to steal your trailer and see no plug and realize oh shit we can't steal this we will have no break lights and that's against the law lol

·
Pro Spectator
5,550 Posts
I towed an open trailer from Tennessee to Maryland with no tag, no lights, no brakes and got not even a look from anyone. Good luck with that method.

·
El-conquistador, sir
17,435 Posts
Wanna bet against that method ? There are guys stealing trailers with S-10 trucks with a 2 inch ball on a 2 5/16 hitch. The risk of getting caught far out weighs the consequence if they get caught. A slap on the wrist is all they get for stealing your lifes work.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
GPS is what I do for a living... So it sucks you don't want to think about it here as it's really the best option.

Although I still use all the other deterrents, all of them can be defeated by a cordless zip cut.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I use a cloths pin as a switch wedged under the tire of my golf cart with the brake off wired to the 12volt wench battery and then to my trailer brakes then to a car horn mounted on top of my trailer if the trailer moves the golf cart will roll inside the trailer the cloths pin will close and a horn will sound and the brakes will lock. cloths pin .29, car horn $6.
I like it!!!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Add a anti-theft circuit controlled by a switch to the accessory feed from your truck.

When the trailer is connected (& switch turned on) it could control whatever you want

1. electric brakes
2. alarm
3. flasher for the trailer lights, etc

as mentioned, won't be 100% cure

1 - 20 of 31 Posts