Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear from some people who have first hand knowledge on the subject if anyone does. I have an older 48' trailer with living quarters. It has an Onan 7,000 watt HGJAB gas generator.

Typically I am running one AC unit (in the living quarters), four 4' fluorescent lights in the rear, two in the front, the refrigerator, and the air compressor. It will run both AC units fine without the air compressor in the mix. If I run only the one in the living quarters, which is normally the case, it's hit or miss on if it will trip the breaker on the generator. It sometimes happens when the air compressor kicks on, but not always. Sometimes I have a self refrigerated engine chiller, like a Sonny's or Chilly Willy's, in the mix. The generator will run the AC unit and the chiller, but will kick the breaker when the compressor tries to kick on. Obviously this compressor pulls a lot of amperage on start up.

I've heard of people having these devices that divert load, IE when the air compressor tries to kick on, it turns off the AC unit temporarily, allows the compressor to run, then when the compressor cycles off it gives power back to the AC unit.

I am good on automotive electrical, but know nothing about this 120v/240v stuff. I could always do Google, but figured I'd try to hear from someone who has first hand experience in these things first. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
You need to install relay modules on the ACs and have the loads monitored by a load shed controller. Very easy job to do and the relays can be installed at the circuit breaker panel. Check out: www.pspproducts.com for controllers and relays.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pitch the compressor and get a couple nitrogen bottles, did that for years, weighs less, no noise, all good.
This is for Pro Mod and Top Sportsman type cars. Need to run Pro Jacks, nitrous refill pump, air tools, blow guns, etc. If all I needed to do was inflate tires that would be ok.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK then, be a man and buy a new 10k diesel Onan like I did recently, just because I wanted to.
That would be nice, but there's not room for it. A 48' trailer with LQ gets small fast when it's cut into 18.5' and 29.5'. It's pretty tight in the garage section. Few inches to spare between golf cart and race car and wheelie bars and door. All storage is full. No room to expand the generator compartment.

If only all I had to do was just be a man.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
One thing I would do is swap out all of the florescent lights for LEDS they will greatly reduce the draw from the Florescent lights

·
Registered
17,066 Posts
One thing I would do is swap out all of the florescent lights for LEDS they will greatly reduce the draw from the Florescent lights
I was thinking the same thing, but it’s only 6 lights. 6x32 is 192 watts. He might save 100 watts by going LED. Not likely to solve his problem...I would still do it though!

·
Registered
33,084 Posts
O.P. are you sure it's not just a problem with the compressor? Over time they just turn to shit. Motor starter capacitor gets weak.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Get a clamp on amp meter, put it around ONE of the conductors to the compressor, and see what it is drawing on start up. Possibly it could be going bad. Winnebago's, of which I've had two, have a load shedding device built in. I'm sure they are available, just have never had to look for one.

·
Premium Member
15,200 Posts
What ever, on the transmission service trailer had two nitrogen bottles and one CO2 for servicing customer units, many late nights with much air tool and blow gun use, two or three guys busting ass, never ran out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts