Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I may lower the car 2 inches. All in all im happy with the way the car is running 11.89 with a small block 355 olds on pump gas aint too bad. Just want it to not spin. Ideally there is a lot of things I need to do to make this car an efficient race car but in many ways it will take some of the traits I want. I have jumped in this car and put on 100 miles in one evening. Finding a balance is the hard part.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@ Making chips im running a 28 x10 hoosier mounted on a 15x10. I was thinking about this. Is it possible to have too much extension ?

In this video which was cut short by my wife . haha. you can see how the car sits if I don't bring the RPMS up. IN the other 2 videos I was bringing up the RPMS up and was already into the suspension travel. Still trying to find that sweet spot. I also really needed the RPM to help that flat spot off the line.

Again guys thanks for all the help and suggestions. This is big learning curve for me.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The suspension needs to be “neutral” if at all possible when you leave. Brake torquing can take away suspension effectiveness for sure.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Fuel pressure is good . Its a 750 HP. I may have mentioned before The AFR is good all across the board except when it transitions from idle to WOT , crusing to WOT . Pretty much any time the throttle is cracked hard the AFR Goes lean and I have been messing with it here and there. Its been a really busy summer and last time at the track the stumble was present but not nearly as bad so im headed in the right direction ( or so I think) . I messed with pump cams , went up with the shooters., Many said the 50cc accelerator pumps would not be needed but it sure seems like im running out of volume very fast with the more aggressive cams. With the less aggressive cams the fuel duration seems to last a little longer and I saw the AFR not go super lean. IM gonna try a 50 CC pump on the primary side and see what happens.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Most would disagree but I’ve always liked a 50cc on the primary and use the extended tip shooters, something only a few sizes larger than the base shooter the carb came with. Cams set for your throttle position on foot brake launch. My theory is a long, high-pressure piss is better. But I haven’t raced a automatic car in a very long time. Go find a big, vacant parking lot and play with these items until you get it fixed. You only need to go 15-20 feet.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Most would disagree but I’ve always liked a 50cc on the primary and use the extended tip shooters, something only a few sizes larger than the base shooter the carb came with. Cams set for your throttle position on foot brake launch. My theory is a long, high-pressure piss is better. But I haven’t raced a automatic car in a very long time. Go find a big, vacant parking lot and play with these items until you get it fixed. You only need to go 15-20 feet.
I like the 50cc How much in size did you go up from stock with the squirters front and back? Shit will drive you nuts wont it. I like the back street test idea you only need 20 feet as long as it hooks decent.

Cool to see you picking up. Man hate to say this but she does sound like a little bit of a pig right out of the gate. Sure sounds to me like she has more to go.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I put .031” front and rear on this carb. It needs more rear jet; too lean on WOT. But the owner is a lazy SOB and he can’t even manage to change the jets. I told him if he leaned the engine out and blows the engine, it’s on him. Not me. The guy owns a automotive repair shop! Never been in a carb. Kids...all they want is instant gratification!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Guys I figured out the bog. The threads for the nozzle where damaged. I managed to swap the nozzles but it must have been enough to give me a false sense of snugness. I rebuilt the carb . Re threaded the nozzle threads and made sure I had sufficient flow clearance as I went up to an M6 Thread. Man... it now launches good at the shop. I hope at the track it stays that way.

On a side note. I found the gaskets Holley provided with the nozzles where restricting the flow channels so the nozzle was not only dripping fuel from underneath BUT ! did not have sufficient flow for a good fuel stream. I now have fire hose streams lol. Im lucky the nozzle didn't fall into the throttle bores. When I went to remove it it was LOOSE ! and then the threads came with the bolt.

I did not go to the 50cc pump I did some exhaust work and have to re weld my AFR gauge bung so I have been tuning the old fashion way. Guessing lol.

IM hitting the track sept 7th. The car feels much better now that that bog is gone .

This loose nozzle explains a lot of things that where going on. The list is too long and its a bit embarrassing but this is my first time doing more in depth tuning on a carb and im learning as I go.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
well I got the car to hook and its not bogging. The car didn't pick up but its hooking well. Spent all day Saturday tuning the carb after my repairs just to get it to where it was before. Best pass was an 11.91 110 MPH with a 1.63 60 ft. I added some pinion angle to it now sitting in at about -3 degrees. Thanks for helping

21 - 36 of 36 Posts