Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Cactus salesman
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car hooks fine to about 40 feet, then spins.

My set up:

Strange double adjustable shocks, compression set to 9 out of 10 firm, extension set to 9 out of 10 soft. 175lb spirings rear. Car weighs 3420 with me in it. Tire is a 10.5 M/T slick. Leaving on the tranbrake at 5000. 4.11s in the rearend, powerglide trans with a 1.80 first gear. And, unfortunately, stock front struts. Cars best 60 has only been a 1.379 leaving on the brake at only 4000. N/A setup, no power adder.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
My first thought is that you have things so stiff you are not getting any help from your suspension..

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Yeah, maybe I should set both the compression and extension in the mid range like a typical 50/50 drag shock and start over? 5 on compression and 5 on extension?
Honestly, call strange and ask them for a baseline setting based on your combo.. but even the 175 springs are stiff from how I set my stuff up.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
This may help some. Video of the car leaving--go to the 20 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFBTyHyaac
You have some work to do, it hits the tire hard at the hit and then the tire rebounds, that is starting your problems..

Get the shock settings in a workable setting and then re video and post in the Chassis setting you will get ALOT help there, what kind of rear suspension are you using?

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
doesn't a stock mustang have vari rate front springs? the front struts don't help this either!

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
front not rear.. if the front has a verable rate spring in it your not going to get much stored energy in the spring.. the stock strut is killing you also..

·
Registered
9,850 Posts

·
Cactus salesman
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I am definitely getting new front struts and springs from Strange --- ordering this Monday. On the 175lb rear spring, I tried a 125 and I had to go all the way to the top of the coil over, and the car was still sitting way too low. I just thought that was because of the weight of the car, as it is 3420lbs.

·
Cactus salesman
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to much spring, compression to tight [buy what you say], and extension to loose
Ok so this pretty much sums up what everyone is saying.

So I will call strange and see if they have a 150lb spring for the rear---in the mean time I guess I will start at 5 on both compression and rebound and go from there. I have a private track rental / test day on the 29th so I can do alot of passes to figure this out.

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
just me but i wouldn't touch chit in the rear to you get something up front.. the front of the car is dead!!!!! it's not helping weight tranfer at all...

·
Cactus salesman
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just me but i wouldn't touch chit in the rear to you get something up front.. the front of the car is dead!!!!! it's not helping weight tranfer at all...
That we agree on. I really should have addressed the front suspension earlier. But that will get done next week. What can I say, I was on a budget trying to get the car done.

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
i'm not bashing bro just pointing out a issue that i would do first.. btw cool car

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
What is causing the "Jar" at approx 38 into the vid? Roof mounted camera view, at approx 38 something causes a violent bump, even hear it in the engine.

·
Cactus salesman
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I shift around the 330 mark (its a power glide)

Thats where it usually breaks traction, about 40 feet out. Sometimes worse. On that pass it felt like it was grabbing, then breaking loose, then grabbing very quickly for just a little while. There have been passes were at that point the tires break loose completely at that spot.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Too much rear spring.. put a 130 or so in it.. if you didnt like the height of it.. then put a taller spring in it.. put a 14" in it..

too tight on rear.. start with 7 compression and 4 extension and go from there.. if the axle cant extend back out and follow the contour of track then its just gona unload.

get some adjustable front struts on her.. Dbl adjustable if you can afford them.. might as well get the best first.. if not the singles will still put you miles ahead.

no coilovers up front?? if not get some 14" 175s up there..

Those would be my starting points.. everyone has a different opinion of starting points tho.. we can all agree the front looks like it needs spring and adjustable struts.. rear needs less spring and shocks adjusted different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts