Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting my 9'' center section order and got a question asked to me I'm not really sure how to answer. The pick-up collar for the yoke. Do I want 1, 2, or 4 magnets on the pick up collar? Besides using this pick-up collar for traction can it also be used for driveshaft speed?

While were talking what traction control device is everyone using? I know Davis is out there but seems pricey. Does it work well enough that even on the most slippery of track you will make a great pass? Who else makes traction control device that works? What do I want to look for in one? I'm using a BS3 but might be willing to go with a Holley EFI if the set up is better and worth it.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The 8 magnet works even better

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
For best data resolution, especially for any traction control, you will want an 8 magnet collar (or higher). Yes, a lower number will work but not nearly as well.

For the most part there is a myth that TC will make you go faster which is false. It can save a pass when it detects tire slip but it applies timing retard to get the tire back under control again. There is no silver bullet device that guarantees you will run fast every pass. There a number of TC boxes out there to choose from. Many of the EFI type products have TC built in you can program, Davis Technologies has several modules, and MSD has a relatively inexpensive box for under $500 that works well. (7761 ARC module that works in conjunction with the Grid ignition system)

Think of any TC device as another tool to use but not a magic device that automatically makes you fast or gets you down the track every time. If you can get down the track without using one you will be the quickest but there are times when it can get you down track when you might not without it. Using TC is not legal in many classes & sanctioning bodies as well.

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
For best data resolution, especially for any traction control, you will want an 8 magnet collar (or higher). Yes, a lower number will work but not nearly as well.

For the most part there is a myth that TC will make you go faster which is false. It can save a pass when it detects tire slip but it applies timing retard to get the tire back under control again. There is no silver bullet device that guarantees you will run fast every pass. There a number of TC boxes out there to choose from. Many of the EFI type products have TC built in you can program, Davis Technologies has several modules, and MSD has a relatively inexpensive box for under $500 that works well. (7761 ARC module that works in conjunction with the Grid ignition system)

Think of any TC device as another tool to use but not a magic device that automatically makes you fast or gets you down the track every time. If you can get down the track without using one you will be the quickest but there are times when it can get you down track when you might not without it. Using TC is not legal in many classes & sanctioning bodies as well.

Well said!

·
Registered
605 Posts

Not saying you are wrong Mike but the new Profiler Davis has I think is gonna prove you wrong on what you just said. I seen some data from a Promod with one and I will say it would have taken him ALOT of passes to find something in the run if he would have even ever found it and I'm not talking about a problem with the car I'm talking about ALOT of power he was leaving on the table in the run. You are right about 1 thing it is a tool but from what I seen it's a tool that the best in the business can't even comprehend looking at a Standard Racepak run but the Davis showed him a part of the run that was amazing to see on the Profiler and not ever seen on on any data logger. Let's just say he knows this track well and was expecting to run X amount of ET That day from past track experience but after looking at the Profiler and seeing what it was trying to do it went .2 faster than ever been on that track without it and knows he has been leaving a lot on the table through that part of the run. I'm not talking about any old Promod operation I'm talking about a mid 3 second Promod and get this he was testing on a bracket night and the bracket cars were complaining about the track being bad but he made 3 hits and 2 were dead identical runs and both well in the 3 second zone and in the hunt at any Pdra race. So saying it doesn't make you faster is only a opinion of someone that hasn't ran the new system. Trust me it's badass and not even finished and still in the Prototype stage.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Not saying you are wrong Mike but the new Profiler Davis has I think is gonna prove you wrong on what you just said. I seen some data from a Promod with one and I will say it would have taken him ALOT of passes to find something in the run if he would have even ever found it and I'm not talking about a problem with the car I'm talking about ALOT of power he was leaving on the table in the run. You are right about 1 thing it is a tool but from what I seen it's a tool that the best in the business can't even comprehend looking at a Standard Racepak run but the Davis showed him a part of the run that was amazing to see on the Profiler and not ever seen on on any data logger. Let's just say he knows this track well and was expecting to run X amount of ET That day from past track experience but after looking at the Profiler and seeing what it was trying to do it went .2 faster than ever been on that track without it and knows he has been leaving a lot on the table through that part of the run. I'm not talking about any old Promod operation I'm talking about a mid 3 second Promod and get this he was testing on a bracket night and the bracket cars were complaining about the track being bad but he made 3 hits and 2 were dead identical runs and both well in the 3 second zone and in the hunt at any Pdra race. So saying it doesn't make you faster is only a opinion of someone that hasn't ran the new system. Trust me it's badass and not even finished and still in the Prototype stage.
LOL, I was afraid someone would bring this up after I posted. I'm well aware of the Profiler and was going to mention it but didn't because as far as I know it's not available as a released product yet...at least last time I called a little while back. I saw it at SCSN in November on Stanley's car & how it's programmed & functions. IMO some of it depends on the power adder how affective it would be...i.e. I'm not so sure on a nitrous car since we run the timing near the edge as it is. No question it was working on John's car and Mike Maggio had one on his as well who also ran a personal best there.
It is a cool concept for sure.

For those interested, here's a video that will give you a good idea of what it's about.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I messed with it on the laptop looking at some of it's features and man oh man the possibilities are endless. It is gonna change racing for some for sure.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just like a buddy told me years ago...In a lot of cases you have two kind of class racers cheaters and losers. Lol
Lol ain't that the truth. These days it's who has the most money and resources to build what you want not what you need. Lol Money will always rule and with the devices a coming at the pace they are it won't be long all you'll need to go racing is a remote control and a Coca Cola in your living room with a Big Screen Tv. It is amazing how things and Technology are changing at the pace it is in the racing world. It use to be who was the smartest at going down the track and today it's who is the smartest at computer technology. I really like computer gadgets myself but I also like the feeling when you make a mechanical change after looking at Data and the car hauls the mail also. You can't go backwards at this point now so you might as well suit up and get on this Technology bus or they gonna leave your ass behind !!! Lol

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No promod here for sure. Does someone have a strange part number with more pickup magnets?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Sorry guys for spamming up Skips thread. Skip if you have a Big Pinion then it's more than likely a 2.187 ID on the collar. I don't work for Davis but it's defiantly a product that promods are gonna have to get on board with once it's a finished product. Like Mike said don't know about nitrous promods but I'm sure they're testing it on something nitrous to see what it does. Again sorry Skip.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If you are thinking of going with the Davis TC I would get the ring and sensor from them. But definitely get an 8 trigger ring

1 - 19 of 19 Posts