Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the Schucks Auto Supply Nationals, I noticed a guy with some kind of tool that he placed on the track surface randomly from the starting line to 60' or so out and was taking notes on whatever reading it was giving. It looked like it had three legs and had some kind of crank that he turned a few times and then wrote down the readings. Anybody know what that was? I've never seen it before. Not sure if he was part of the NHRA track crew or one of the car crews.

·
King Shit on Turd Island
33,367 Posts
While at the Schucks Auto Supply Nationals, I noticed a guy with some kind of tool that he placed on the track surface randomly from the starting line to 60' or so out and was taking notes on whatever reading it was giving. It looked like it had three legs and had some kind of crank that he turned a few times and then wrote down the readings. Anybody know what that was? I've never seen it before. Not sure if he was part of the NHRA track crew or one of the car crews.
Mike, they showed a couple of team crew members using those a week or so ago while covering one of the races, but they didn't mention what it was or what they were measuring? I would be guessing but I would think tat it was some kind of themometer/durometer combination and maybe cecks adhesion as well, but like I said just a guess. :smt102

·
Registered
121 Posts
They had a bit about that on the race show. It had an inch lb tq wrench on it connected to a spring loaded rubber pad. He stood on it to hold it on the track surface and then recorded how much force it took to get the pad to turn.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had an idea it was for checking traction/friction but it would interesting what they compare the readings against and how they use it etc. They must have a baseline and judge it from there.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I had an idea it was for checking traction/friction but it would interesting what they compare the readings against and how they use it etc. They must have a baseline and judge it from there.
When I talked to a guy with it in Joliet he said he didnt have a clue. Maybe they were just gathering data for tires or something. It looked like a big oring tool with rubber on the bottom. I guess after a while they will know if it means anything. Either way it was a cool looking deal.

·
Trolling the Trolls
16,059 Posts
Like they explained on TV, you have to gather data first to get a baseline number, then you learn from there.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Years ago I bought a temperature gun in an attempt to measure and chart track temps to ETs and 60 ft times. That was a total waste of time and money. A tool that measured friction between the tire and track might work better. If you could figure the 60 ft to know what it will be you would be pretty hard to handle on a index or bracket race......LOL. RM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts