Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure it's the master cylinder but wanted another opinion.
2002 Tacoma prerunner 3.4
Mash brake pedal to slow down and as the truck starts slowing it feels like something pops and the pedal will drop about a half inch and catch back.
This is not a constant everytime you brake. It may happen twice in a row and then skip the next three times.
It's my kids truck and I don't want him driving up some womans ass unless she ask him to. ;)

·
having fun
31,403 Posts
if the fluid is going somewhere pull vacuum line off booster and stick an evacuator hose of some sort into the booster-if you suck out brake fluid then the cylinder is leaking-thats the first easy check i would do

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I currently have 2 Tacomas and a 4Runner. That era of 4Runner/Tacoma is famous for sticking caliper pistons on the front, which could be the culprit. Any issues with the brakes being grabby first thing in the morning?

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brakes feel like they work fine. Don't seem to be sticking. Just kind of feels like the pedal pops and all of a sudden drops a half inch.

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
calipers hanging up on the slider pins?
I took the brakes off all the way around and cleaned and inspected everything. I can't find a damn thing wrong. Local Napa store had to order a master cylinder so I am going to throw one of those at it tomorrow and see.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Front calipers are fixed no sliders I think I remember?
Retract each side on front.
Sticking pistons were common.
What are rears? Drum or disc.
Disc disassemble and check slides.
Drums, remove drums and move shoes back n forth checking whee cylinder and look for wear on backing plate.
How was ebrake adjustment?
Does it pull up to top w wheels on?
If so you need to inspect for issues, the ones I wrote here.
If all good adjust correctly to very slight drag in drum.
Spin hit pedal spin hit pedal and recheck ebrake.adjust again if needed.
Let us know what you find man. Nice truck you have .

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the pedal popping and going down a half inch or better that gets me. I know it's like something is hung up but I can't find it. I tore it all down last night and I inspected everything. Not to say I didn't miss something...
4 piston caliper on front
Drum rear
Non ABS
E-brake will slide the back wheels.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Search Google like this

“site:tacomaworld.com brakes”

Make the search words more descriptive. Have found many fixes like this on my trucks.

It actually brings up brakes pop.

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This morning I took all the brakes apart. Made sure the pistons worked properly in the calipers and the wheel cylinders in the rear. Everything moved freely. Put it all back together and it did the same thing.
Picked up a new m/c from napa and put it on, bleed all the air and old fluid out and so far it stops like it should. So far. Lol
I could push the piston in the m/c with one finger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts