Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to install 305/70R17 (10 ply) instead of stock 265/70R17. Truck looks retarded because stock tires too small.
Situation is as follows- Now have a 2010 ram 3500 single wheel (4 door short box). Had a 2009 3500 single wheel previous and Ford Dually's before. Trailer is 13,000 pounds (constant weight) TAG hitch (bumper pull, not gooseneck) 600-750 lbs tongue weight, 35 ft long. Previous trucks pulled it very well, not worried about power but have concerns about putting 305/70R17 tires on with sidewall flex. Truck pulls this trailer about 30k to 40k miles per year, so this is important. I don't want to put tires on and have problem with drivability- anyone have similar set-ups??? It wouldn't be a big deal if I only towed once in a while, but thats primarily what it is for and safety is a concern and really don't want to spend all the time behind the wheel herding it down the road! Maybe I should just stick with 285s...???

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had bfg 315 70 17s in a D on the same truck. Towing about 10000lbs the sidewall flex felt scary. I now have a nitto terra grap 305 70 17 in a E and don't have any problems. I think I'm going to try the nitto dura grappler in a 295 75 E next time.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I haul HEAVY and side walls are everything! If you want a heavy sidewall and dont care about the ride quality look into General Tire's. They are super tuff tires.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nitto terra grap 305 70 17 in
these are specifically what I was looking at actually... Load Range E obviously... How is the wear? Why are you looking to step back to 295? I have not been a big fan of the BFGs when towing, honestly...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nitto Terra graplers are the shit. These tires are amazing. I have a similar set up ( 3/4 ton sw dodge) that is about 19,500 going down the road. And a 30' tag with a long tounge. It had a 33" geolander on It when I bought it and towed like crap. I was hesitant get the 305 because its 34.5" tall but its a bad ass tire. Even sitting still you notice very little sidewall flex. I have had them for a year now and wear is great. They are also suprisingly quite.

GREAT TIRE ! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
these are specifically what I was looking at actually... Load Range E obviously... How is the wear? Why are you looking to step back to 295? I have not been a big fan of the BFGs when towing, honestly...
The bfgs lasted me to about 56000. I'm now at 107000 so 51 on the 305 terras and plan to put another 20k on them this summer then replace them before the snow flys. I may put the terras on again but I was just thinking about going to the 295 duras to try something new. But would not think twice about getting the 305 terras.

·
3,412 Posts
The bfgs all terrain are 3 ply sidewall i have the 305 on my single wheel dodge and ive pulled my 40 foot cattle trailer with 28 horses in it like nothing 40,000 pounds truck and trailer

·
Registered
52 Posts
The bfgs lasted me to about 56000. I'm now at 107000 so 51 on the 305 terras and plan to put another 20k on them this summer then replace them before the snow flys. I may put the terras on again but I was just thinking about going to the 295 duras to try something new. But would not think twice about getting the 305 terras.
That's km not miles by the way.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had bfg 315 70 17s in a D on the same truck. Towing about 10000lbs the sidewall flex felt scary. I now have a nitto terra grap 305 70 17 in a E and don't have any problems. I think I'm going to try the nitto dura grappler in a 295 75 E next time.
They offer them in a 295 now? I was waiting for them to come out with a larger size but ended up going with a 285 70 17.

The dura grapplers are great tires and designed for heavy highway use. I believe just the tire (no rim) weighs ~85lbs...something like that anyways. The Terra Grappler has terrible wear. I have run them in the past and they are junk IMO, look awesome though. They wear fast and require constant rotating. I know I am going against what others are saying but that has been my experience and also the general concenses on cummins forum

·
Slow street car
1,666 Posts
I tow with the dune grappler 305 55 20 and dont have any problems pretty good tire i get about 30000 out of a set...

·
Registered
52 Posts
They offer them in a 295 now? I was waiting for them to come out with a larger size but ended up going with a 285 70 17.

The dura grapplers are great tires and designed for heavy highway use. I believe just the tire (no rim) weighs ~85lbs...something like that anyways. The Terra Grappler has terrible wear. I have run them in the past and they are junk IMO, look awesome though. They wear fast and require constant rotating. I know I am going against what others are saying but that has been my experience and also the general concenses on cummins forum
I guess I dont see a 305 in a 17 on the nitto site. The guy at discount told me they did so maybe its new and not on the site or no such thing.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I run a 315 75 16 (35x12.5) bfg mud terrain and get about 55,000 a set. They are an E rated tire and drive/tow great, the side wall flex looks a little unnerving, but I also have them on a stock rim. I do not get any sway out of the tire!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
i have 315/75/16 (35x12.5) terra grapplers on my f150 supercrew and tow my 24' enclosed with it. i havent had any issues towing. i rotate mine every other oil change (6000 miles) and they are still quiet with 30000 on them. i will be replacing them before winter with another set. geolanders are junk that is what was on my truck when i got it and the were noisy and rode like a tractor going down the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts