Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my parents just purchased a 33 ft class a motorhome. i wanted to use it like 2 times a year to go to the track prbly 45min drive. it has a 6way trailer harness. i would be pulling a open trailer with 3,000 lb car. but it has a 7 way. is this the adapter i need? http://www.bigdiscountrv.com/_product_57032/7-Way_to_6-Way_Adapter also do i need to install a brake controller on it? my neibor says i will have to reinforce the rear frame.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If you decide to run a brake controller & the brakes lock up when you plug adaptor in take the adaptor apart & swap the two wires around.... Have customers all the time buy these adaptors & have that problem, tell them to swap the wires & it corrects there problem.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
check the specs on the hitch, most of them are rated for 1000-1500 tongue and 5-6000 overall. compare it to your loaded trailer to be safe.

·
Registered
929 Posts
our 40' class a diesel pusher is rated for 10,000 lb. we tow my 28' enclosed @9900 lb. with no problems. also tow a open 24' trailer with our 74 ford bronco and golf cart plus coolers and bikes. we only use a weight distribution hitch and again no problems towing to hatteras nc aprox 200 miles 1 way. have thought about getting a toad for it though.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I just this week bought a 40' monaco to pull my 32' triple trailer havent got to use yet but mine has a heavy welded in hitch so I think i'll be alright. Any information anyone has will be apperiated

·
Turbocharged another BBC
6,633 Posts
my parents just purchased a 33 ft class a motorhome. i wanted to use it like 2 times a year to go to the track prbly 45min drive. it has a 6way trailer harness. i would be pulling a open trailer with 3,000 lb car. but it has a 7 way. is this the adapter i need? http://www.bigdiscountrv.com/_product_57032/7-Way_to_6-Way_Adapter also do i need to install a brake controller on it? my neibor says i will have to reinforce the rear frame.
Be sure to install a brake controller, I won't worry to much about reinforcing the hitch as the open trailer shouldn't have that much tongue weight. It should tell you on the hitch what they recommend for max tongue weight.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
be smart...get the rear frame boxed in....use a brake controller...and get a reese load leveling hitch with the 10,000 bars....i've seen many motorhomes rear section begin to break from the hitch and load over time....motorhome frame flexes too much without boxing it in.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
X2 box it in. No biggy with an open trailer but once you go to a closed trailer definately get under that thing and reinforce it..By the time you put all your junk,car,tools golfcart,etc you would be surprised what it weighs...I took my trailer to the scales once on the way to a race it weighed 11,600 my mouth bout hit the ground...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the input guys. ill have to check and see if its got the plug in where i can hook the brakes right up like the gm trucks have.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I had a 40' Monaco Executive, pulling a 32' T&E Stacker. It was 78' total length, and it worked ok. It just died on the hills but as long as you are patient and take your time you should be fine. If you don't know much about the wiring, have someone else do it for you. Take it to U-Haul or someone who is reputable around town.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts