Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting a 85 K5 to do some off roading fun with and to use as a daily driver.. Now in the future im looking at getting an enclosed 24' trailer, would the K5 tow it or would it be suicide trying to do this??? The K5 will have 6"-9" of lift also.........

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
I had an 86 for years. I loved it. I scrapped the 305 and put a 350 in it. I never really towed much with it but I went 4 wheeling with it all the time and it was a blast.

Good Luck

·
Hit Em In Da Mouf Racing
15,445 Posts
Im looking at getting a 85 K5 to do some off roading fun with and to use as a daily driver.. Now in the future im looking at getting an enclosed 24' trailer, would the K5 tow it or would it be suicide trying to do this??? The K5 will have 6"-9" of lift also.........
do yourself a favor and get something with some torque! I couldn't fathom towing my enclosed with a k5....suicide!:(

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
It will be fine. Just get some electronic trailer brakes. If your planning to do some wheeling and also tow, find yourself a 14-bolt full floater rear out of a k20 or k30 and also a dana 44 or 60 front. Your going to have to change to 8 lug wheels, but if your lifting it i imagine your going to be getting new wheels anyway. The 10-bolts axles that came factory are ok for daily use, but throw on a trailer or big tires and your asking for trouble. Check out gmsquarebody.com, they have alot of info.
I have a 1980 k10 shortbed and i would sell everything i own to keep it. You wont regret it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replys so far!! Looks like were on both side of the fence though........ Ill check out that website! thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
16,441 Posts
IMO, to short a wheel base to be towing safely.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree with the people saying not to tow with it.....rememeber its now whether the truck can get it moving, its how safely can it control at road speeds and stop the weight.

·
I forgot what to do next!
6,090 Posts
Dont do it trailer will man handle that truck
lift + short wheel base + towing big trailer = you in ditch

·
Registered
262 Posts
i had a real nice 79 blazer with a mild built 400,4.10 gear on 33" tires and it did not like hauling a 24' enclosed at all!!! wind and big trucks pushed it all over the road..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Towing with that small a vehicle will have you cleaning out your drawers if you aren't in the ditch after a "big" truck comes by you. Way to small with that big of a trailer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts