Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a 24ft enclosed trailer an I was just wondering anyone has towed a trailer this size with one. Mine is a 4wd with 5.4 engine an 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
dont do it sucks.............i had and expo wouldnt pull for shit

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have a 06 with the factory tow package and pull a 16' open trailer without a problem. :(

I see alot of people pulling enclosed trailers with F150s WTF :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know it states in the manual not to tow for the first 500 miles and not to use the O/D when towing.

How much more weight is an enclosed vs an open? I was thinking of opting for a 20' enclosed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a open trailer that I pulled with my f-150 and it pulled it fine. I also got a 18ft boat that I have pulled with both f-150 an expedition. An the expedition pulled it a lot better. The enclosed trailer I'm buying weights 3600lb empty.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I am looking to buy a trailer now, and looking to go open for this reason. I have an 02 (5.3) GMC Yucon and I have been told the truck would not like an enclosed with a 4000 pound car inside. I just sold a 05 5.4 Exped........

So, I am going with an open that weighs 2,000 pounds plus the 4000 pound car.

I think you will be OK if you leave plenty of room to stop and not dealing with mountains to and from the track

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i used the shit out of my old expedition towing my racecar on an open trailer. did fine, but rode like shit. that being said, its not gonna like the windload at all of an enclosed trailer. example- i just got rid of my v10 excursion, thing did great with an open trailer, even with a bobcat on it. it was fine with just the weight. i pulled a 28 foot enclosed trailer with my car in it and empty, it was pretty awful. i think the enclosed is gonna be a little much. may not be very safe either. just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
its not safe, had a friend almost put both on the roof trying to stop.....the Expedition wil not like the tongue wieght even with a weight distribution hitch

·
Registered
708 Posts
I am not saying it won't pull it.I use to pull my race car with a ranger that had the 4.0 in it.It would pull it 90 mph,but it wasn't the safest thing on the road.It will probably pull it but will it stop quickly and manuver quickly if needed? Probably not. Most that are doing it with less have been lucky. Hell i have a 46ft enclosed right now and pull it with a f350 and don't feel safe when i have to stop quickly.Just my .02

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
absolutely agreed...
I am not saying it won't pull it.I use to pull my race car with a ranger that had the 4.0 in it.It would pull it 90 mph,but it wasn't the safest thing on the road.It will probably pull it but will it stop quickly and manuver quickly if needed? Probably not. Most that are doing it with less have been lucky. Just my .02

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was your friend driving right? Did he have electric brakes? I've done a lot of towing myself hell I drive a 22,000lb Dump truck and haul a 10ton dozer on a tag trailer all the time. I know the expedition will pull it. I was just wondering who has towed an enclosed trailer with one.

·
and a little bent
2,277 Posts
I have an 04 with the combo you mentioned and I think this is about the max I am willing to use it for.

Full deck heavy brimar 18' went as high as a 4,000lb car - as long as the trailers brakes and the tekhonsha controller are working its good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts