Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Pontiac aficionado
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into any issues towing a 3400lb car//500lb extras in trailer in a 24ft enclosed trailer with a 2015 F150 2.7L twin turbo/3:73 posi with the factory tow package.

I know that a weight distribution and sway bar control would be a must.
Best sway/distributor setup?????
Also who makes the best all round brake controller?????

·
Registered
21,668 Posts
Looking into any issues towing a 3400lb car//500lb extras in trailer in a 24ft enclosed trailer with a 2015 F150 2.7L twin turbo/3:73 posi with the factory tow package.

What would the trailer weight be with the car and the 500 extra pounds in it?Pretty sure that's way over the weight the 2.7L Eco Boost is capable of towing.The 3.5L Eco Boost would have a higher tow rating IMO.

·
Registered
42,142 Posts
What would the trailer weight be with the car and the 500 extra pounds in it?Pretty sure that's way over the weight the 2.7L Eco Boost is capable of towing.The 3.5L Eco Boost would have a higher tow rating IMO.
5 tons and either truck in a half ton is asking for it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You're going to be bumping right up against your max towing. Figure 3700# for an empty 24' enclosed, add car and extras, you're almost at 8000. The other thing you're probably going to have to take into account is where the weight is so you aren't over your axle ratings and your truck's payload rating, while keeping enough tongue weight.

Weight distribution and sway control are a must. I personally like the idea of the Andersen chain based weight distribution, but haven't gotten to try it out yet.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Get the ford brake controller.It's mounted in the perfect position and works awesome. Which 150 reg cab.......... .even with a super crew cab it's a lot of trailer for the truck,air bags would help. Bottom line yes the truck will pull it, BUT will it safely stop it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Get the ford brake controller.It's mounted in the perfect position and works awesome. Which 150 reg cab.......... .even with a super crew cab it's a lot of trailer for the truck,air bags would help. Bottom line yes the truck will pull it, BUT will it safely stop it?
New half tons have better brakes than 3/4 tons did less than 10 years ago. It will stop it. 13.8" rotors front, 13.7" rear with standard ABS. Why is this always the go-to question? The trailer has brakes and the truck has better brakes than people have ever towed with.

I've towed a 24' loaded trailer with my half ton, and stopping is never my concern, keeping it pointed straight when it is windy is a hell of a lot harder, because a half ton just doesn't weigh enough. Add in with Ford's weight shaving this year, that will make it even harder to keep it pointed straight on windy days, and sway control is your friend.

·
Sophomore Member
1,969 Posts

I debated between a 2013 F-150 with the 5.0 and tow package vs. a F250 SD to pull my trailer.

When I tow my 24 ft 7500 lb. enclosed it makes me so glad I bought the 3/4 ton.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Get the extended warranty

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
A fellow racer in the pits pulls a 28 footer loaded with car, Jr. dragsters, golf cart, pit bike as well as the other usual equipment (up to 10k lbs.) with an Ecoboost. Says he has no issues what so ever. He just got rid of the tires that came with it and installed a set of Load Range E's.

·
Registered
16,505 Posts
Smartest thing (aside from towing that weight with a half ton) you could do ^^^^^^^^^right there.

·
Off the stands for 2018!
20,991 Posts
Being able to get it rolling and stopping is not the problem. When you hit a brisk crosswind at highway speeds with a vehicle that is grossly out of its league, that is when you will wish for a heavy duty rig.

I would tow with what you describe if my journeys were always going to be short, with little to no big road involvement.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Being able to get it rolling and stopping is not the problem. When you hit a brisk crosswind at highway speeds with a vehicle that is grossly out of its league, that is when you will wish for a heavy duty rig.

I would tow with what you describe if my journeys were always going to be short, with little to no big road involvement.
Yep, it ain't any fun. You really want the extra 1500-2500 lbs that a 3/4 ton weighs over a half ton.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
Yep, it ain't any fun. You really want the extra 1500-2500 lbs that a 3/4 ton weighs over a half ton.
You are dreaming if you think there's that much of a difference. It is more but not that much.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You are dreaming if you think there's that much of a difference. It is more but not that much.
My Ram 1500 quad cab weighs 5050. A crew cab 2500 with a Cummins weighs 7000+. Do you even math?

Straight from Ram

2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 - 5419 lbs.
2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 - 6751 gas motor, 7752 Cummins w/ Manual trans.

Add that up there killer.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts