Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those that use a roof socket to pull your car back, how long are your tow lines?
Thanks Rick

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hey Rick,

I use one and it's just the standard retractable one from Jegs. Works o.k. Length is fine, not sure how long. Strap gets locked up sometimes in the "reel" and doesn't retract. Lot of guys are switching to "push" bars instead because there is no risk of banging into your tow vehicle. Also can push into the trailer without having to winch it in.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A push bar would be pretty slick, what do they attach the bar to on the car?
Thanks Rick

·
Registered
60 Posts
2 friends of mine put theres under there parchute mount. One use a quad to push the other a golfcart. Alot safer that way IMO. No risk of a strap coming off or tearing.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Bolt/sleeve that the parachute cord is attached to or weld a bracket to near there that you can attach to with a quick connect. I don't think anyone actually manufactures something. I've just seen them custom made with a section of chromolly tubing with threaded rod ends and heim joints. Pretty easy really.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Here's the push bar that i built for my Yamaha Drive golf cart.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Barry
What size tube did you use? I can't make out the end that hooks to the back of the car, is it a clevis of sorts?
Thanks Rick

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Pushing does come with it's compromises. If you aren't straight behind you can get bound up pretty easy and if you are on looser ground, not pavement, it's easier to get bound up.... Still the way to go though IMO. Plus if, like me, it's your spouse who tows/pushes you, they can relax knowing a collision is not eminent ;)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Barry
What size tube did you use? I can't make out the end that hooks to the back of the car, is it a clevis of sorts?
Thanks Rick
I believe it was 1". I used solid clevises from McMaster Carr and welded them in both ends. I just remembered that I ended up changing the clevis on the end of the bar that hooks to the car. When I get home I'll take a pic and post it to show what it looks like now.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
is it a clevis of sorts?
Here's what the clevis looks like now. The bracket on the chute mount slides in between and a pin drops through. Works like a champ.

·
Registered
483 Posts

We have used this retractable tow strap from Tim McAmis Race Cars for several years with the roof mount quick pin. Never an issue.....

Code: PIN_62090
Price:$149.00

Retractable tow strap has 15' lead and is constructed out of billet aluminum.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The Jerry Bickel retractable straps are awesome. I've had two, only because I backed into something and broke the first one after several years of service.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Barry,
do you push your car in the trailer with it,
I could if I needed to but I park the cart in front and winch the car in. The nicest thing about the push bar hands down is the fact that I'm in control of the car, I pick the lane in staging that I wanna run down and I don't EVER have to worry about running over the strap. No confusion. Just push me and I'll stop when I'm ready to.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
The Jerry Bickel retractable straps are awesome. I've had two, only because I backed into something and broke the first one after several years of service.
Same here...have used it two seasons...works great. I had one of the pins put on the car end. I think maybe you can order them that way too.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
after ruining a brand new paint job from the car roling into the back of the golf cart, we built a push bar. make sure you can turn both ways without hitting anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts