Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What experiences have you guys had? I have a 03 GMC extended cab 4x4 w/ a 5.3 and 3.73 gears. I know a 3/4 ton would be better but I don't want to drive one of those every day. Let me start by saying I live 12 miles from my home track. I might go out of state once or twice a year for the Olds meets but that's it. I was thinking a 20ft. would be alright.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You'll be fine with a small enclosed. Get yourself some equalizer bars and a brake controller and don't get in too big of a hurry.

·
6,816 Posts
Dont see a problem with that i tow my 28 foot with my dodge ram 1500 i have the air bags and stabilizer bars it tow fine with no problem

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
We have a 2010 GM with similar features and it tows great but we only get about 6 miles a gallon towing a 28'trailer.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
You'll be fine with a small enclosed. Get yourself some equalizer bars and a brake controller and don't get in too big of a hurry.
Towing wont be a problem, stopping on the other hand very well could be. You will have to run your trailer brakes at a higher setting to help compensate for the lack of weight up front.

·
Team CoRuPt
1,810 Posts
I have an 08 Chevy Silverado 6.0 4x4 and i want to see what i can add to tow our enclosed 32' trailer locally. I tried to put it on the ball and the thing squatted like crazy. Do supersprings work?

·
In the Beams.
21,997 Posts
You'll be ok , tow with the overdrive off or in tow 'haul mode . If you run into other tracks & have to haul up/down mountains take it easy..

·
Customer User Titty
3,394 Posts
You should be good, I used to tow a 24 footer with my 90 F150. Good brake controller and some suspension that's in good shape and you'll be fine.

·
T/S 368E
29,891 Posts

All bad, it might start off ok, but it will not like the beating it takes.
If you're going to spend a bunch of dough as a crutch, you should just get the proper truck.

Also, you will hate the 20' trailer.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have towed my 24 foot enclosed with my 94 k1500. That tbi engine was pretty whimpy. But I did get it done. My track is 100 miles away. You run into issues when the trailer pushes the truck around. 60 mph was as fast as it was safe to go, and big rigs passing me was at first frightening, a touch of trailer brake would calm the sway

·
Gettin' tired of the shit
23,424 Posts
I towed a 20' enclosed trailer (3400 lb car) with my 2001 Ford F150 Supercrew, 5.4, lowered 4" with air assist bags on the rear (@ 60 lbs towing and 5 lbs the rest of the time), the weight distribution hitch and a digital brake controller and it worked like a champ. I would have loved to have a bigger trailer but that's all I can fit at my house. I now have a 2008 F250 Crew Cab with a 6.4 and with the trailer hooked up and a 3650 lb car in it you can't even tell you're dragging a trailer.

The bigger truck is definetly better, but my Supercrew still got the job done.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We pulled my 32' closed tag with a 03 chevy 1500 HD 4X4 locally and my dually F350 squats more than it does. towing was no prob gas milage on the other hand Oh boy!

·
Registered
460 Posts
We pull our 24' enclosed with a 3700lb car with a 99 sierra 1500 2wd, 4.8L. Brake controller and equalizer bars is all it has, pulls good.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have a 2004 GMC 1500 Crew-Cab, 5.3, 3.73's. And I tow a 24' haulmark with a 2900lb. Mustang and a shit ton of tools etc. It tows like a charm, pulls hills OK, will pull 60-65 fairly easy up long hills. I get 10.5 mpg average towing. I have also towed with my 2008 2500 silverado, 6.0, 4.10 gears , and granted it has more power to pass and up the hills, BUT only gets 7-8 mpg !! My 1/2 ton is every bit as stable as the 2500. Definitely run weight dist. bars. Sure a diesel dually would be better, but I don't have the scratch and my 1/2 ton tows great.

·
I like to party!!
4,338 Posts
I know a couple of guys that tow a 24' enclosed with 1/2 ton trucks. Just get the proper hitch/equalizers and should be fine.

·
Another Nobody
11,793 Posts
I have towed a 24 with my 04 f150 supercab, It pulled ok, not good but OK, just expect to get passed by everything on the road. Make sure you have brakes on both axles of the trailer and have a good brake controller and weight distributing hitch. I almost lost everything when some idiot pulled out in front of me, had all 8 wheels locked up and slid quite a distance, pulling is not the issue, stopping is
and BTW the truck had the increased GVR option and trailer towinig package.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We pulled my 32' closed tag with a 03 chevy 1500 HD 4X4 locally and my dually F350 squats more than it does. towing was no prob gas milage on the other hand Oh boy!
The 1500 HD is the same as a 3/4 ton. The ony difference is the 1500 HD has 3:73 & the 2500 HD has 4:11. Cant compare this truck to a 1/2 Ton. How much does the trailer & car weigh?

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
Towed a 24' with an F-150 with the load leveling bars for years.... never any issues except going up hills. The poor ole ford just didn't have enough ass behind it....
But never had any issues as far as only being a half ton truck.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
What experiences have you guys had? I have a 03 GMC extended cab 4x4 w/ a 5.3 and 3.73 gears. I know a 3/4 ton would be better but I don't want to drive one of those every day. Let me start by saying I live 12 miles from my home track. I might go out of state once or twice a year for the Olds meets but that's it. I was thinking a 20ft. would be alright.
If you're only going to get a 20' trailer, you may as well get an open and save the coin. Especially since you really don't go anywhere. For the Olds meets, borrow/rent an enclosed from someone.

You won't get much in a 20' enclosed besides the car.

Just drug my 28' enclosed back from Georgia this past January. 08' Tundra, 5.7 Liter, 381HP, 4.10 gears. Got a whole 7 MPG on the way back. Tons of power, but the gas just sucked.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
My 01 yukon with the 5.3 has drug my 24ft enclosed all over the country .. Load dist bars and I can cruise 70 no problem
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 60 Posts