Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to judge a KCBS Barbeque cooking competition on Sunday...…...Chicken, ribs, pork and Brisket...……….they also have a ancillary Mac and Cheese competition...….one of the perks, is that you get to bring home anything you do not eat. Takes about 3 hours to have Lunch! looks like there will be about 45 barbeque cooking teams at this competition.:-D

·
Mother Hen
50,954 Posts
Yeah, but you have to try stuff that turns out shitty, too. Make sure you chuck the shitty ones under the table before you pack up all your food so you don't get them mixed up.

·
Smart Ass Conservative
112,478 Posts
Mmmmm :)

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, but you have to try stuff that turns out shitty, too. Make sure you chuck the shitty ones under the table before you pack up all your food so you don't get them mixed up.
these are professional competition barbeque cooking teams....for example, they will cook up 30+ racks of ribs, to find the best individual 6 ribs for the Turn -in box...…...same with the other entry's....as a judge, you are only getting the very best of the very best! LOL, believe me, there is a difference. Been doing this for 4 years now, only had one entry that was bad, and it was brisket that was tough.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
But after you have tasted 5 different ribs how can you tell that # 6 was any better or worse than say number 2? I knew a guy who competed and his competition food was no where as good as his food if he was grilling for friends. He said he had to add so much more spices to bring the taste out for competition than if he was grilling for him self. His explanation was that the judges taste buds are getting hit and unless you are the first or second your taste buds are less likely to taste a difference in the food the further down the line up you are. I always wondered if this was true for the judges or not.

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But after you have tasted 5 different ribs how can you tell that # 6 was any better or worse than say number 2? I knew a guy who competed and his competition food was no where as good as his food if he was grilling for friends. He said he had to add so much more spices to bring the taste out for competition than if he was grilling for him self. His explanation was that the judges taste buds are getting hit and unless you are the first or second your taste buds are less likely to taste a difference in the food the further down the line up you are. I always wondered if this was true for the judges or not.
I cannot speak for any other judges, but it is easy for me. I take one bite, savor it, sip a water, and go to the next rib. as I take the bite, I score it, then the next bite of a different rib is a fresh new taste. You score them on appearance, taste, and tenderness.....of the four different meats, Chicken has the most diverse flavors

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
that could be a tougoh job as there are so many different types of sauces, not all BBQ sauce are the same. Each can have it's own Xlass and personal preference has so much factor. The next person may not like your choice at all.

And I'm sure they are ALL Good.

I'd be tickled just to have a bite of each instead of a plate. Just to find out some of the differences.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I've competed in KCBS competitions, actually won once, you can get a box full of crap or the best BBQ you've ever tasted!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts