Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just bought a 3300 lb 68 mustang that runs 9.0 with 15 X 10 torque thrust d wheels. This car has a 392 small block with spray 28x10.5w and a trans brake. American wont tell us if these wheels are safe or not. Has anyone seen or heard of any problems with them?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've seen a few heavy cars run low 9's with them. One being a 68 Chevelle, the other a 65 GTO stick car that leaves real hard. Never heard anything bad about them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Many American Racing wheels are now made in China, so be careful. Also, the Torq Thrust wheels are cast and not forged like may racing wheels; so just like a crank or pistons, you want forged parts if you are making some power.

Regarding American's customer service, it fails. We had a problem with a set of their TrakStar wheels and NO ONE could resolve our issues. It was like talking to one inept phone jockey after the next, which I am sure is a byproduct of their multiple mergers/acquisitions.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Wow, that sucks, but it's good to know.

In the September issue of Hot Rod, there's a 9-second 69 Dart that runs Cragars. He doesn't have alot of strip time on it, and I'm thinking that's probably a good thing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Many American Racing wheels are now made in China, so be careful. Also, the Torq Thrust wheels are cast and not forged like may racing wheels; so just like a crank or pistons, you want forged parts if you are making some power.

Regarding American's customer service, it fails. We had a problem with a set of their TrakStar wheels and NO ONE could resolve our issues. It was like talking to one inept phone jockey after the next, which I am sure is a byproduct of their multiple mergers/acquisitions.
X2 they could'nt tell me for sure on the phone friday if my 'pro-series' trackstar front -three pieces are supposed to hold air or not:rolleyes: they leak all air out in about 4-5 miutes on both sides... Im like are you supposed to run a tube with these front rims?? or not ?? are they guaranteed not to leak at seams ?.....there like call jegs maybe they know.....:smt097

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
I have the trakstar fronts on my mustang and they have regular 165/15 radials and do not leak.

They had Et Fronts on them and didn't leak either. sounds like a blem from the factory.

·
Registered
203 Posts
X2 they could'nt tell me for sure on the phone friday if my 'pro-series' trackstar front -three pieces are supposed to hold air or not:rolleyes: they leak all air out in about 4-5 miutes on both sides... Im like are you supposed to run a tube with these front rims?? or not ?? are they guaranteed not to leak at seams ?.....there like call jegs maybe they know.....:smt097
American's customer service will not know anything nor will they be able to put you in contact with anyone who has a clue. Hopefully Jegs can help, but the wheels should hold air WITHOUT tubes!

Another alternative are Holeshot wheels. A Camaro at Route 66 running open comp this weekend had a set of these without the slots in the spokes and they look just like the 1-piece Trakstars but with bolts around the circumference.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the trakstar fronts on my mustang and they have regular 165/15 radials and do not leak.

They had Et Fronts on them and didn't leak either. sounds like a blem from the factory.

These are the Holeshot wheels & the car I saw at the Superbowl that look like the Americans: http://yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66993

1 - 12 of 12 Posts