Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking for a little insight. I have an 81 grandprix that seems to have some torque steer. Not in the typical front wheel drive sense of the steering wheel moving, but it feels like the rearend shifts right to left when I get on/off the throttle. It is most obvious when I'm cruising at speed and blipping the throttle. The rearend seems to shift a bit to the driver side on acceleration and passenger side on deceleration.

This has been happening for quite a while. However, it seems more apparent now since I have changed a few things (i don't know if there is a correlation):
1. auto to manual swap
2. 90/10 front shocks (removed stock shocks)
3. malibu V6 front springs (removed stock v8 springs)

My suspension setup is as follows:
-SSM lift bar rear lower control arms
-boxed rear upper with urethane bushings
-factory rear sway bar
-stock rear shocks and springs
-front 90/10 shocks
-front v6 springs
-removed front sway bar
-all else stock

I have gone through all the nuts and bolts and haven't found anything loose/irregular. I haven't noticed any excessive play in any of the steering, wheels, brakes. Tire wear seems normal but it hasn't got a lot of mileage lately so it might not be obvious.

I have some new 3 way adjustable shocks for the rear I will put in when I get a chance. Also, I will be switching to solid motor mounts soon too.

So any ideas what is causing this wiggle? Alignment? Anybody else have a similar phenomenon?

thanks,
DD

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I checked again today and the control arms look tight under there. I can't find any looseness pushing/pulling as hard as I can.

One thing I did find is the left axle has a bit of in/out lateral play in the housing. I didn't measure it, but it probably moves between 1/16" and 1/8". The right side doesn't move as much. Would this explain the wiggle? Are there different thickness C-clips or shims to correct this?

I might also it down to check the thrust alignment.

DD

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Also check the upper urethane bushings. I've seen those split before causing the rearend to sway side to side.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Its the SSM bars my car did the same thing!! TRZ can help with the fix . ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts