Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some ideas and opinions of what more you would like to see here. So that I could continuously improve this section and you the member/viewer will get more out of this section.

I would also like some feedback on what has been discussed and answered here.

1st. Did I answer your question and were you satisfied with the reply I left?

2nd. Viewers passing through, who have read these posts, did you find this info helpful?

Any other questions and/or comments you might have I would like to hear.
Thank you,
Sparky

·
Administrator
136,626 Posts
Sparky, I made this post a sticky as I think its a great topic and hopefully will get a lot of input. I read every post you make here. I have to say the timing curve post blew me away!! Not to say the others didn't but I would like to think I know a thing or two about the MSD boxes. Well I learned a ton with your posts. I programmed one of these boxes a few weeks ago and wished I would have known this much about it before I headed out. Problem is I thought the 7530 T was just like the 7530 box.. Well I was wrong and you have posted a ton that I did not know about. Thanks for helping the racers out. There is a lot to say about someone willing to share his knowledge with everyone.. :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monty,
Thanks. Hopefully I can bring some more traffic through this section. I would like to get some more technically oriented topics here as well.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
How about some discussion about PLC's (programable logic controllers) in race cars. I'm starting to see more and more of these. Last one was a big allen bradley in a blown alky truck (Texas True Ten Five). Anyone out there using them and what do you find them good for?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are correct. PLC controllers are becoming more commonly used today. With the complexity we have in racecars today, there is a big demand for “smarter” electronics. The PLC controllers are a great way to gain flexibility in a semi automated sense. Like in the case of Allen Bradley, a PLC controller was more then likely controlling fuel and/or timing function.

I have also been asked in the past how to set up a PLC for controlling N20 and Turbo Boost Controllers. Now that most of the aftermarket Fuel Injection companies are coming out with PWM circuitry, the use of PLC Controllers with the Turbo stuff would be a bit redundant. The same would hold true for a Fuel Injected Nitrous set up as well.
But, a big multistage nitrous combination may benefit greatly from a PLC Controlller.

For more information on PLC Controllers follow this link, this gives a pretty good Engineering explanation of PLC’s.
http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~jackh/books/plcs/chapters/plc_intro.pdf

Thank you for the input and I hope this helps
Sparky

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything specific with Boost Controllers Jim? With C02, Without C02, Twin Turbo, Single Turbo, 2 Stage, 3 Stage. I offer some different types and I rather enjoy playing with the turbo stuff. I have had some pretty good luck with the ones I have built

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
I'm really not sure Sparky. I know when I got into this turbo thing there were so many controllers and options my head was spinning. I went cave man style with timers, regulators, and CO2. I heard MSD's controller is good. Rick Head makes one that does all kinds of crazy stuff. I know you build a good one, or two, or.....

I've been told you can use exhaust back pressure with a single instead of CO2. I was also told with twins you have less back pressure so you need to use CO2. I like the CO2 because it's a contstant and I can set it to whatever I need.

Do any of you guys have any more interest in this topic? I'm guessing Sparky could give everyone some good pointers. I'm willing to chime in with what I know.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have been working with Bill Lutz with his twin turbo setup. Bill has been working with one of my 3 Stage Controllers.

Bill is using CO2 on his deal. It seems that when CO2 is used, the wastegate is forced closed aggressively and not gradually, due to the nature of the CO2 pressure closing the wastegate. Which could bring on too much power too quick and scald the hides.
I think this may be one of the drawbacks of using CO2. I am currently working on a remedy for this.

With a single turbo application, you can use turbo boost as reference boost for the wastegate. When using turbo boost the wastegate is closed gradually, this is less aggressive and doesn’t seem to upset the car when switching from stage to stage.

I'll keep everyone posted on how everything works out.
Sparky

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Sparky said:
With a single turbo application, you can use turbo boost as reference boost for the wastegate. When using turbo boost the wastegate is closed gradually, this is less aggressive and doesn’t seem to upset the car when switching from stage to stage.
That's what I'm doing turbo boost on bottom of gate and CO2 on top. The boost ramps in vs just coming in all at once.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had a ton of trouble controlling mine. With 2 Tial 44mm gates and their 7 psi springs it still averaged 14psi with nothing to the tops of the gates, no CO2 or boost pressure. On a bench test they started to open at 11 psi and were not fully open until 17 psi. Now I have their 3 psi springs and they start to open at 5 psi and are fully open at 6 psi. I ran out of time to test so I will find out in the spring if it works. I also have the Innovative controller.

·
Registered
196 Posts
He said something about the Astro 2000 or something. :-D I am going to try and come with him when he gets his car, maybe you can fill me in. Thanks, Jon.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
thanks Sparky for having a section for when someone gets stumped we have a place to get answers.
Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts