Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys might like to read this.

Top Sportsman and Chevrolet Performance Stock Added to 2015 NMCA Class List

Santa Ana, CA (September 3, 2014) - As the 2014 NMCA Flowmaster Drag Racing Series season nears completion, with the World Finals at Lucas Oil Raceway in Indianapolis ready to go on October 9-12, NMCA is already planning for 2015. NMCA is excited to announce the addition of Top Sportsman to the list of classes for next year, as the sanctioning body enters its 23rd year of competition. The class line-up will also include the recently introduced Chevrolet Performance (CP) Stock class utilizing the new Chevrolet Performance DR525 sealed engine. This class has already proven to be extremely popular with racers, with several new cars already nearing completion for exhibition at the NMCA Finals this coming October.

The Top Sportsman category features fast door-slammers using nitrous, turbo, and supercharged combinations to achieve times in the low six- and seven-second zones with speeds in the 200 mph range. The racers qualify on a ladder and use a dial-in for eliminations. Long-hailed as a breeding ground to the Pro Modified ranks, the category will compete at all NMCA races in 2015. Competing for an NMCA Championship, Top Sportsman Champions and Top Ten in points will be crowned at the season-ending banquet in Indianapolis during the PRI show.

"I am thrilled with the addition of Top Sportsman to NMCA. We talked to a lot of Top Sportsman racers over the last year and all indications point to a success from the moment we open the gates at Bradenton Motorsports Park in March 2015," said Rollie Miller, National Event Director. "The tight competition makes the racing fun and the high-level of racecars that make up the category fit right in at NMCA-fast, fun, and great racing."

Racers can find the 2015 Top Sportsman Rules at the following link >>>Here<<<

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I am NOT bashing the NMCA or anyone else, but holy dilution, Batman.

NHRA
IHRA
PDRA
NMCA
and all the other smaller ones.

That's a lot of T/S racing

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
you can never have too many places to race, but I don't see this doing particularly well. 64 car field? it may as well be all run. I like that there's no min weight though. i'll probably try to make a few of the closer races

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay here we go. The competition department is seriously considering this for NMCA west. Call Rollie at the office line next week after he gets back from Vegas event and give him your input. 714-444-2426

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
Looks like the heads up classes have priced themselves into oblivion so now every series has to add fast brackets.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've got to agree with Ronnie on this, no sane owner is going to bring a fast TS to one of these races to be picked off by a normal bracket car. They already do this in IHRA, and the only way I'll go to one of their races is if I'm looking for a track to test on. You can't equate that rules package to "top" anything .... it's a bracket race field filler.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I've got to agree with Ronnie on this, no sane owner is going to bring a fast TS to one of these races to be picked off by a normal bracket car. They already do this in IHRA, and the only way I'll go to one of their races is if I'm looking for a track to test on. You can't equate that rules package to "top" anything .... it's a bracket race field filler.

What difference does it make if a normal bracket car beats you or a TS car beats you? It sounds like they are trying to get more racers to come out and race. How is that a bad thing?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
What difference does it make if a normal bracket car beats you or a TS car beats you? It sounds like they are trying to get more racers to come out and race. How is that a bad thing?
I think it comes down to how easy it is to get a car down the track consistently. which is easier, going 6.8s every run or 7.8s? with a 7.99 min dial you are limiting a lot of bracket cars from being able to run and by making it a 64 car field you are discouraging a lot of faster cars from coming(that's a lot of rounds, you could have over a second head start which is a long time to be on trans brake, etc)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I think it comes down to how easy it is to get a car down the track consistently. which is easier, going 6.8s every run or 7.8s? with a 7.99 min dial you are limiting a lot of bracket cars from being able to run and by making it a 64 car field you are discouraging a lot of faster cars from coming(that's a lot of rounds, you could have over a second head start which is a long time to be on trans brake, etc)
It's high speed bracket racing. If you can't run the number every round then you need to work on your program plain and simple.It's Top Sportsman class of course they are going to limit the entries at a 7.99 max dial. As far as waiting on the tree I mat it on my second yellow. But that's just how I've always done it.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'll go 6.8s every run, my program is pretty well sorted out. I was just giving you some examples of "what differance it makes". I already said I plan to make a couple of these races next year(probably Norwalk and Indy). Honestly, i like these rules better than NHRA(especially no min weight), but I think 64 car fields are unrealistic. How are ihra's car counts? Their TS rules are basically the same (all run instead of 64 car field). For NHRA they rarely have full 32 car fields.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I'll go 6.8s every run, my program is pretty well sorted out. I was just giving you some examples of "what differance it makes". I already said I plan to make a couple of these races next year(probably Norwalk and Indy). Honestly, i like these rules better than NHRA(especially no min weight), but I think 64 car fields are unrealistic. How are ihra's car counts? Their TS rules are basically the same (all run instead of 64 car field). For NHRA they rarely have full 32 car fields.
The IHRA races have been around 20 to 30 cars. Yea I think the 64 cars field is to get as many cars in the gates as possible.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts