Yellow Bullet Forums banner

321 - 340 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
I kinda worry about the future of the class. There are NO 20 or 30 year old riders. Jay Turner is one of the young guns and is in his 50s. Bob Malloy is in his 60s I believe and has been riding fuel bikes for at least 30 years, maybe 40. And most of the 4 cylinder T/F guys are in their 60s including Larry McBride, Sam Wills and Chris Hand. These guys will retire some day and their are not any riders to replace them presently. With the speed and E.T.s they are running not many are interested in taking their place. The ones that do usually change their minds. There is not a more dangerous way to compete in drag racing.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Larry McBride ran a 5.78 in Friday qualifying which I believe is #1 going into eliminations. Sam Wills, Mitch Brown and Dave Vantine are competing too.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Larry McBride ran a 5.78 in Friday qualifying which I believe is #1 going into eliminations. Sam Wills, Mitch Brown and Dave Vantine are competing too.
I was at the man cup yesterday and today racing. Kind of funny story I saw a trailer I was interested in and during some down time I took the wife down to look at it. The owner gave me the full tour of the trailer and his bike and we bullshitted for a while. We finally exchanged introductions when I was leaving and the owner was joe Koenig and the driver was Gino Scali. Joe owns trim Tex and is a former pro stock motorcycle racer and Gino is a former Nhra pro stock motorcycle champion.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Beau Layne lost control of his T/F Harley on the top end in Q1 at the NHRA Northwest Nationals and survived the worst crash I have ever seen. Most riders who survive 200 mph crashes get blown off or glance off the wall like Salina's recent crash. Layne's bike was in the left lane and after beating his opponent to the finish line turned hard right in front of him and slammed almost head-on into the right wall. After tumbling several hundred feet he stood up and looked around in a confused state of mind. It was just unbelievable. The bike continued down track and slammed into the net breaking off the frontend.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Beau ran a 6.40 @ 215 mph on that pass and his opponent Tii Tharpe had problems and was not beside him when his bike veered hard to the right. It would have been much worse. It will probably be re-aired at 4pmE on the Fox channel, not Fox Sports.

·
Registered
15,423 Posts
Beau Layne lost control of his T/F Harley on the top end in Q1 at the NHRA Northwest Nationals and survived the worst crash I have ever seen. Most riders who survive 200 mph crashes get blown off or glance off the wall like Salina's recent crash. Layne's bike was in the left lane and after beating his opponent to the finish line turned hard right in front of him and slammed almost head-on into the right wall. After tumbling several hundred feet he stood up and looked around in a confused state of mind. It was just unbelievable. The bike continued down track and slammed into the net breaking off the frontend.

Now That is one tough SOB

·
Registered
18,065 Posts
Doubt there would even be Top Fuel Drag Bikes today if it were not for EJ Potter. First time I ever went to a DRAG STRIP in 65 or 66
Still remember that MF'r.
He smoked the entire quarter and wiggled through the traps then.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
The report is he has no broken bones but has some serious road rash. I hope he knows what caused him to lose control. Something malfunctioned. I don't believe anyone has impacted the wall that hard and fast on a T/F motorcycle and lived to search for the reason.

·
Registered
23,104 Posts
The report is he has no broken bones but has some serious road rash. I hope he knows what caused him to lose control. Something malfunctioned. I don't believe anyone has impacted the wall that hard and fast on a T/F motorcycle and lived to search for the reason.
Surprised nothing broken...heard the report "needing 'only' some plastic surgery" and imagined must've been the road rash.

Was a violent hit against the wall for sure. Glad he is OK.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
There is a youtube video of him being interviewed in the hospital. He looks and sounds remarkably good. At the very end of the crash video Tii Tharpe pulls up beside him as he is standing up. The interviewer asked what was said. "I said sorry man" because I almost hit him".

I have looked at the video several times and believe the wheel adjuster broke as he shut it down and cocked the rear wheel. But then I remember how straight it ran down the track after he impacted the wall and thrown off so it could be something else. It was a very unusual crash with it veering hard and he was just on a hold on ride he could do nothing about.

321 - 340 of 389 Posts