Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
T/S 368E
33,639 Posts

I just did the same thing. Bought the cheap little screw in locater.
Engine is running also, but I wanted to get exact timing before hitting the fogger & accurate records.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I bought a non fouler adapter, threaded with a 3/8" - 16 tap and then got a ling 3/8" - 16 bolt and ran a die on it to lengthed the thread and use that for a dead stop on a complete engine.

Turn the engine over slowly until it stops, mark the balancer, turn the engine over in the opposite direction until it stops and make a mark. 1/2 way between thse marks is TDC

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just switched over to a crank trigger setup from a stock distributor and stock timing pointer. I used one of the screw in the spark plug hole top dead center locaters. It worked out real well and actually matched up perfect with the stock timing indicator.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've made these locators from old spark plugs, by breaking the porcelain out, the electrode off and running a tap for a bolt through it. I then use a long bolt and nut, the nut is a "lock", and use that to find TDC.

I usually round off the end of the bolt as well, so the piston isn't making any contact with any sharp threads.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I've made these locators from old spark plugs, by breaking the porcelain out, the electrode off and running a tap for a bolt through it. I then use a long bolt and nut, the nut is a "lock", and use that to find TDC.

I usually round off the end of the bolt as well, so the piston isn't making any contact with any sharp threads.
X2. This worked real well for me!

·
Registered
332 Posts

this is exactly what we do....lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts