Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a high mileage 04 Cummins dually, all stock

What would be the top 5 mods a guy should do?

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Fuel transfer pump and filtration, FASS etc.
Gauges for fuel delivery pressure, exhaust gas temp, boost
Smarty
turbocharger such as BD Killer B
replace turbo discharge hose with Mr. Bob's Distributing hose
low restriction muffler, check backpressure across catalytic converter (if 2004.5, 325 HP)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As much as I hate to sound like an idiot, whats a "smarty"?

I have a Chance Billet Converter Being built for it and will have it rebuilt while its apart

·
Registered
34 Posts
You say it's high mile. First thing I would do is have the injectors checked. They tend to have flow balance issues by 150k miles. Injector flow balance is critical as it can be the difference between a running motor and melted pistons.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
x10 on the injector thing. If you see black or white smoke under light loads or at idle, then you may need new ones, which is at least a few grand, which sucks.

But.....if they start leaking more fuel than they're supposed to after injection events, it can create a hot spot on the piston, melt it, and score the cylinder wall. Hello complete engine rebuild, which runs about 7-10K.

If the injectors are ok, then you're golden. The Cummins are very good engines other than that.

As far as power or mods, how much money do you have to spend? You can basically bolt on your way to 1000rwhp with enough cash and a beefy transmission.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Put a box with a dispaly on it, save your money on the rest of the stuff. Maybe do a straight thru muffler. Keep a eye on the pyrometer.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If you add power, you need a better lift pump. The stock pump isn't that durable anyway. Better filtration, such as the FASS 3 micron, is very valuable with the high pressure common rail injectors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts