Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know the answer, but I always appreciate a little confirmation.

I believe that as the rear end ratio gets closer to 1 to 1, the amount of tooth engagement increases. And as the amount of engagement increases, the strength of the gear set increases. Am I correct? I am wondering if that is why Pro Gears tend to not be available with a ratio numerically lower than 4.10 to 1? The tooth engagement makes it unnecessary? Take care. Tom Worthington

·
129 Posts
The higher numerical ratio the smaller the pinion becomes. The smaller the pinion has to do more work and therefore is generally not as strong. I assume you referring to the availability on the 12 Bolt GM ring and pinions.

There isn’t enough demand and a need for higher, (lower numerical) ratio, 12 bolt gears. Many other gears are available in the “Pro-Gear” material, that is 9310 alloy. The basic 9” Ford sets are available from 2.91 to 6.50 ratios is sizes from the 9” to 10” pitch diameter sets .

The availability of “Pro-Gears” reflects the demand by users for of a specific style differential.

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I'll take that as a general confirmation about my strength vs. ratio belief. :D And I definitely see your point about the lack of demand for those ratios, in a 12 bolt. It's covered by 9" applications for high hp. Take care. Tom Worthington

1 - 3 of 3 Posts