Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I would like to step up to a few new percision measuring tools.
New mics, snap gauges, dial calipers, and a dial bore gauge.
What brands are you guys using? I know that mitytoyo ( i think i spelt it right) is top of the line with high accuracy. What about the middle brands like fowler etc how good can the realy be? Alot of machine shop supply warehouses sell different brand and the lower end seems like they come from the same manufacture except for the box colors they look the same.
Any of you guys have any input on this touchy subject?

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Starrett.

Everything else can kiss my ass.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I personally like Starret. Their quailty really blows away any other companies, but you really pay for it. They are expensive as all hell. Mititoyo, is what I used in all my machining classes. They worked well and were precise, but I have no idea how much they cost.

Where I work now, we use SPI. They are precise what we use them for, but then again we're not holding tolerances of a couple thousandths. From what I hear, they're good if you're on a budget.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
If you work in the aerospace program or make doors for nuclear submarines you need to best tools. The average guy can get by with alot less tool. An example is most engine work starts with a dial bore guage and mics then you set up or measure off numbers developed from those tools. So if they are not accurate to a couple tenths so what? Most shops have temperature issues that change the size of most item anyway. If you are a machinist by trade or a professional builder you need quality tools. Who would buy a motor from a builder with a shop full of Harbor Freight measuring devices? But the average guy who assembles a motor at home can get by OK with less. The shop who machined all your stuff measured it so you're just checking behind them anyway. I didn't second mortgage to buy the stuff I got at home. JMO, RM

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm
They have some of the best prices, most everything in stock and have alot of sales. We use Mitutoyos all the time with no problem. The thing is if you want accuracy you will need some master jo-blocks and ring gages to check your mics with from time to time.
Base what you spend on the quality you are trying to check. Do you want +/- .001 or +/-.00005?

·
"Made" Member
2,860 Posts
Starrett.

Everything else can kiss my ass.

Just bought digital starrett calipers and theyre junk! A couple employees bought starrett mics and theyre not as nice as the mitutoyo mic's...... mitutoyo make the best gages, imo....

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you work in the aerospace program or make doors for nuclear submarines you need to best tools.
I have machined my share of parts for naval nuclear reactors and used everything from Starrett, Mitutoyo, Brown and Sharp, Fowler, etc. Like anything it depends on how much money you want to spend and what you intend to do with it.

Starret and Mitutoyo has very good products with some exceptions. I got a Starrett level once I wouldn't give to a chinaman the quality was so poor. I like the feel of some old B&S calipers I have and they have served me well. Anything I have seen from Mitutoyo coming out of Japan is good quality but they have some calipers coming out of Brazil (or at least they did) and they are not as good of quality. I have always preferred the feel of Mitutoyo mics over Starret, but that is a personal choice. Bore gauges I couldn't tell you as I always fortunate to have intramiks available.

You get what you pay for. You can pay a couple hundered for a set of 0-6" mics or over a grand.

You can also try www.mcmaster.com of which you can buy direct from without an account.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input guys.
Im definatly staying the hell away from the cheap offshore crap.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Etalon (Swiss )makes a top of the line outside micrometer.
They are the company that makes Interapid indicators which are also
the industry standard. Starrett is a fine micrometer as well.
I have Etalon o.s. mic's, Starret depth mic's, Starrett telescoping
gages, Mitutoyo digital calipers, and Interapid indicators.
I pick the BEST in a particular TYPE of tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts