Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to bring my 42" lower roller cabinet to the track with me. How do you guys secure it during transport? I was thinking e track with a strap around it. Should I do a lower one as well and have 2 straps? Any ideas would be great.Thanks

·
T/S 368E
29,914 Posts

My old trailer had a Sears roll out and it has 4 D-rings into a stud and 2 ratchet straps.
100's of trips zero issues.
Not sure if you can see, but one up high, one in the middle.

100_1753 by J L, on Flickr

Reactions: corcon

·
T/S 368E
29,914 Posts

I have no clue, that was 25 years ago.
That was 3 trailers ago.

It was probably drilled and sheet metal screws.
I was not a fan of self tappers back then.
I've gotten lazy over the years.

·
I kill parts
10,101 Posts
Ours has rode for 6 years and thousands of miles like this with one good 2" ratchet strap. - changed up some now, as my thread shows

D-ring either side, lagged into the studs.

·
T/S 368E
29,914 Posts

My buddy got T-boned on the way to the track, so I added a double strap on mine.
His car stayed fine, but some stuff broke loose and beat up the front end just in case.

Plus I was using the 1 inchers, so wanted to be extra safe.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I want to be able to roll it out at the track. Thanks
Gotta ask, why do you want to roll it out at the track? I have two smaller boxes in mine and they are mounted to the floor. Short of a major wreck they're not going anywhere and mine are next to the side door so they're not far away.

·
T/S 368E
29,914 Posts

Basically you usually don't.
The very few times we did was for a major test session.
Changing carbs, changing individual jets on the foggers to fine tune each cylinder, changing converters, etc.

What I've done since then is the small rolling stand, works fine, and much less work moving.

Reactions: Mike Beck

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
A friend of mine and his wife were driving and she let the trailer wheel drop off the edge of the pavement. The result was the trailer jack knifed and flipped. The result was very evident. The car was tied down and didn't result in much damage from the roll. BUT the tool boxes, air compressor and floor jack is what actually totaled his race car! I look at pictures and could not believe all the damages. The car was still tied down upside down hanging from the floor, The ratchet straps were tied tight. He ended up rebuilding a totally new race car. So now I try and make sure everything is tied / bolted down good. I want no flying objects if something happens to my trailer.

Chuck
PAE

·
T/S 368E
29,914 Posts

That's actually an excellent idea, great post to remind us and I should know better myself.
A buddy was turning left and some loser tried to pass him???
Hit the truck doing ~60 mph but it flipped the trailer and the only damage to the car was all the stuff that came out of the cabinets and destroyed the glass nose.
The car didn't budge.
If my trailer flips, I'm screwed.
My carbon fiber nose hangs from the ceiling, that will be destroyed, I have 6 big ass gel cells, those will go flying,
golf cart, air compressor, jack, stands, all the N2O bottles etc etc will all go flying.
I did bolt down my tool boxes permanently, but plenty of stuff will fly around.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I used e track bolted to the floor w/ 2 straps over the tool box & never had an issue.

·
T/S 368E
29,914 Posts

I wanted to save floor space, so I removed the base tool box and put 2 Craftsmen tops on my base cabinet.
On the right is mine, it has the N2O stuff, chassis tuning tools, paperwork, tuning notes etc etc.
On the left I put one for my crew chief, it has all the tools he uses, spark plug otoscope, meters, weather station etc etc.
I left the middle open for the lap top, work station.

I bet it wouldn't be too hard to build something to hold the bottles and add d-rings for the golf cart.

trailer cabinets by J L, on Flickr

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used 1/4 thick, 3 x 3 aluminum angle, screwed to both tool box and trailer wall. Overlapped the angle and put quick release pins, to allow the box to be removed. Most of the time my nieces and nephews used the toolbox as a ladder, to get into the gooseneck. Kennedy builds some decent boxes!

·
I kill parts
10,101 Posts
I mounted the stainless box under the bench now, ahead of the genny/compressor compartment. Have a big 6-drawer roll cart that comes out every time in the pits. - With a heads-up car like we run, quick tool access between rounds is a necessity, would suck having to go in/out of the trailer so often and not having the quick bench space on both sides of the car.

I used 1/4 thick, 3 x 3 aluminum angle, screwed to both tool box and trailer wall. Overlapped the angle and put quick release pins, to allow the box to be removed. Most of the time my nieces and nephews used the toolbox as a ladder, to get into the gooseneck. Kennedy builds some decent boxes!

Great idea, much more positive locating than straps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts