Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife got me this as a gift for christmas. We went up in a Cesna 172. Needless to say Im hooked. Its as much fun as racing and the best part is the wife has been urging me to get my license.

Gonna book my next lesson soon. Anyone else on here currently doing this?

Wife says sell your racecar and buy a plane, man I love her!(not selling the car though)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Best way to get away from everything for a while. You can solo in prob 10-12 hours. A feeling you can't describe when the instructor gets out and says your plane. I have about 300 hours.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Private pilot, Nothing like the freedom of flight. Some good online ground school sites with good practice tests as well.

Best advice is to find a GOOD instructor.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Instructor today was female. She and I just really worked well together. I have inquired about lessons before and never did anything about it. I guess my wife knew if I actually flew I go thru with it. Hardest part was landing. Something in my mind says Im gonna run this sucker into the ground. She said I was doing great as a first timer. Maybe she was trying to get some more lesson money out of me. I really enjoyed it.

Best part is my father went too. He flew to one airport and I flew back. He had his license years ago and we flew all the time when I was young. I was glad we got to do this again together.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I took lessons back in the early 80's and ran out of money. I wish I had stuck with it and borrowed the money to finish. I worked at a fixed base operation in college and caught a ride every chance I got. It would have been about $2,000.00 to get a license back then. I bet it's 5K now. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah she said 8 grand and maybe less depending on how easily I picked up the class studies.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Landinfg is where its at, take off, breeze, remeber keep numbers 2/3 up windshield, I was taught once in pattern, no more power! period!!! Also on night flight, key the radio to turn on lights on runway, he says. Nope Airport lost the lights, so he turns em off, Iwas like WTF... Net pass , he turn turns off cockpit instrument lights, and landing light, (he told me to bring one of the chem stick lights) So on final, crack the stick and watch airspeed and rate of decent.
Also made me take off, under the hood , by holding compass heading on roll out. also never used the gps during training. I figured learn to fly and navigate, then use the ez tools.

Also try to fly at least 2 times a week , or else you are talking 1/2 step back each lesson. Dont be in a hurry to solo, when time is right instructor will know and turn ya losse. Just where a old shirt on solo day as it gets ripped off ya (tradition)

PS Dad was pilot for over 45 years, 30 in Navy and 15 with FAA

·
Ask me about my Weiner!..
7,803 Posts
It was always a dream of mine to do it, I was a airplane NUT... Health issues shut that down for me, honestly dont understand why, but someone more intelligent than myself says I cant do it. So much for the saying " you can be and do whatever you put your mind to "... So, I just mess around on some very expensive flight sims..

Thats cool you got to do it, I'd imagine it's a hell of a experience..

·
Registered
307 Posts
10,000hrs+ and all I can say is It sure beats driving.Also once you get your ticket you will need to continue flying to keep up your rating.My dad was my instructor so I got what I think was the best training I recieved sinse he cut me no slack what so ever and I belive it helped.So good luck.And what merciless mike said wear an old shirt.

·
Erect Member
3,062 Posts
Always been a dream of mine. Someday...

·
Registered
128 Posts
It was always a dream of mine to do it, I was a airplane NUT... Health issues shut that down for me, honestly dont understand why, but someone more intelligent than myself says I cant do it. So much for the saying " you can be and do whatever you put your mind to "... So, I just mess around on some very expensive flight sims..

Thats cool you got to do it, I'd imagine it's a hell of a experience..
I know the feeling , health issues grounded me 8 years ago. The best flight sim I have ever found is by DCS . Their sims for the black shark attack heli and A-10 wart hog are unreal.

·
Aviation Section
25,700 Posts
It is very rewarding and as they say the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Be carefull, take your time and get a lot of seat time to build up your confidence. There is no curb to pull over too when somthing goes wrong so ALWAYS do a good preflight and don't believe the fuel gauges, look!, make sure they didn't leave the caps off also or the fuel can siphon out, especially on the high wing Cessna. YOU check the oil, YOU take out the rudder lock, don't leave anything not checked on your checklist or we could be reading about you in the newspaper.

Orville and Wilbur couldn't solo in 10 to 12 hours, you can't either, expect somthing closer to 40 hours and it doesn't matter anyway, solo when you are ready, it is just a number.

I was always partial to X Plane but it takes up a lot of memory on your computer. Good luck! Dave

·
Aviation Section
25,700 Posts
Down the road when you and your friends want to get a plane the good news is as owners there are quite a few things you guys can do without hiring an A&P to do it for you. I am also an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic and anything that falls under the heading of preventative maintainance can be done by the owner/owners. You are a drag racer so changing tires, greasing wheel bearings, changing brake pucks you can do yourself. You will not be able to time the magnetos though and they don't yet make an MSD for a Continental opposed!
If you thought owning a boat was expensive you ain't seen nothing yet until you get a plane!, insurance, tie down space outside at the local airport, insurance, 100 hour inspections, annual inspections, insurance, you get the picture. Dave

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I spent time in the Air Force as a jet Mech. Was to busy partying to get my A&P. Really wish I would have. My cousin has his and works for the airline. Maybe he would be willing to help.

The expense like you mentioned is the reason Im gonna try to get my dad and possibly a third party to invest. Thats down the road though need to get the license first.

Really looking forward to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts