Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok today is my birthday. Im 69. In Arkansas your drivers license expires on your birthday. I had a class A CDL that was good for 4 years. Been driving dig trucks since I bought one when I was 16. I know that my semi truck driving days are over. I have no business hurtling down the road in a 80,000 pound truck. So I did not renew my CDL I just got a regular Drivers License. That License is good for 8 years. I don't like that. As we get older our mental as well as our physical condition declines. I think its better to err on the side of caution. My opinion is once we reach retirement age 62 that driving license needs to be renewed every two years and we need to take a driving test when we get it renewed. Once we get to be 70 we need to have to take both a written and driving test every year. Yet I see folks barley able to walk see or hear driving large RV,s and towing a vehicle or boat? Every couple of years I have to get new glasses because my eye sight declines. Of course Im saying this right now because im certain I could easily pass a written and driving test at this time. However in a few years I might have no business driving and then I will be Ok with not having to be tested on a regular basis. Of course at this moment I tell myself that a good driver knows when to stop driving. In 8 years my grandsons will be old enough to drive. I will let them chauffer me around.

·
Registered
32,628 Posts
There’s a huge range of differences between the “able” drivers at 75 and the “disabled” ones that should have stopped driving at age 65.

·
Premium Member
15,305 Posts
I'm 73, 40#s over weight, exercise daily, CDL, find myself fucking up more and more, time is a cocksucker, CDL good until 2025, dunno after that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Exactly! You could be perfectly fine to drive and take care of yourself until you are 100+. Or, you could lose all capacity and go into dementia at 65, or even earlier.

In my grandmother's case, (dementia) she should have had her driver's license, and car, taken away when she was in about her mid 50s. That would have saved my father and all his brothers a lot of money over the years from having to pay for the things she damaged.

Of course, that bottle of bourbon she drank everyday didn't help either.

Dad, on the other hand, still tows his boat to the lake once or twice a week, unloads it by himself, fishes all day, and comes home. He just turned 74. He's a mean old bastard too. It's gonna be hard to take his license away, WHEN, the time comes.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Here you have to get a medical for a class 1 CDL every two years from age 45 to 65 then yearly after that. I can’t remember for a regular licence but I am sure my father had to get a medical at 75 and every two years after that.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here you have to get a medical for a class 1 CDL every two years from age 45 to 65 then yearly after that. I can’t remember for a regular licence but I am sure my father had to get a medical at 75 and every two years after that.
Yes most CDL drivers have to have a valid health card. There are exemptions to the health card. Hauling Grain During the Harvest no health card required. My point is how do the not capable drivers get weeded out without regular testing?

·
Registered
32,628 Posts
Yes most CDL drivers have to have a valid health card. There are exemptions to the health card. Hauling Grain During the Harvest no health card required. My point is how do the not capable drivers get weeded out without regular testing?
Insurance claims....

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
My dad who will be 80 in December drove truck for 35+yr, retired about 15yr ago from big rigs but kept his CDL. He finally let it expire last year. Still works 3 days a week delivering parts for the local Chevy dealer, drives 300-400mi a day.
I don't see why a person should have to go through extra hassle to be able to drive just because they hit a certain age. If a person can't drive at 62 they probably shouldn't have been driving before they were 62. JMHO.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Losing a license means isolation for many elderly, they won't voluntarily do that.
My Mom is 93. She gave up her license 4 years ago as her Macular degeneration had degraded her eyesight far enough that she did not trust herself behind the wheel. She is pretty isolated , as you suggest, but she is still OK. She has a 3 wheel bike she pedals (slowly) around the retirement park.
A lady who she knows , has the same thing. About 5 years ago this Lady, ran over a Docotr and his wife ( they were Bicycling) while driving. She left the scene and came back later. When the cop asked her what happened , she said "I thought I had hit a pothole"
The Doctor was the surgeon who replaced my moms hip some years ago. He is pretty fucked up and hasnt practiced medicine since.

All because one Old Blind ass lady was too selfish to stop driving , she was not willing to admit she was not safe to drive. Talk about Denial.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Ok today is my birthday. Im 69. In Arkansas your drivers license expires on your birthday. I had a class A CDL that was good for 4 years. Been driving dig trucks since I bought one when I was 16. I know that my semi truck driving days are over. I have no business hurtling down the road in a 80,000 pound truck. So I did not renew my CDL I just got a regular Drivers License. That License is good for 8 years. I don't like that. As we get older our mental as well as our physical condition declines. I think its better to err on the side of caution. My opinion is once we reach retirement age 62 that driving license needs to be renewed every two years and we need to take a driving test when we get it renewed. Once we get to be 70 we need to have to take both a written and driving test every year. Yet I see folks barley able to walk see or hear driving large RV,s and towing a vehicle or boat? Every couple of years I have to get new glasses because my eye sight declines. Of course Im saying this right now because im certain I could easily pass a written and driving test at this time. However in a few years I might have no business driving and then I will be Ok with not having to be tested on a regular basis. Of course at this moment I tell myself that a good driver knows when to stop driving. In 8 years my grandsons will be old enough to drive. I will let them chauffer me around.
Go fuck your self!

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
I agree, over a certain age the license should have to be renewed annually. I also think there should be a different classes of licenses based on skill. The lowest class would not be allowed on roads with speed limits over 50 and would be limited to certain hours of the day (aka non-rush hour). Hell, I say if you can pass the test while inebriated, you should be able to drive that way.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
My Father had to quit driving at around 75 due to macular degeneration (eyesight). Still very alert and verycapable of driving. My Mother was still driving at 89 years old. Still a very good driver and alert to what was going on around her. One day when she was in late 80s, I seen her at a stop light. It was the middle of the day so she probably assumed I was at work. I pulled up directly behind her to test her alertness. She looked in her rear view mirror, recognized me and immediately waved to me. Then called me to ask why I wasnt at work! LOL
Many seniors are very capable of driving and should be allowed to continue. No number should be a limit. They cant possibly any worse than these idiots texting and staring at Facebook while they drive!:mad:

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I’m 72. I enjoy driving (including my twitchy little roadster) and, as of now, have no problems...not just my opinion. However, I also think older folks should be required to take driver skills tests more frequently as they age. I’ll never forget the look on the face of this old geezer as I went by him putting around a traffic circle the wrong direction. It looked like it was clear to him something was wrong, he just couldn’t quite figure out what.

·
Registered
37,608 Posts
I just ordered a 200mph Charger so I'd best still be able to drive to some extent.... :oops:

Sound mind or otherwise, time marches on and I can guarantee you those who know beyond a doubt they drive better at age 75 than they did at 25 are just fooling themselves. You don't. You have experience on your side but the little mistakes slowly creep in, your reaction time and situational awareness slows and your vision starts to decline. There's just no way around it.

Myself, I don't blow red lights and stop signs, go the wrong way down 1-ways, text, etc but I find myself occasionally doing things like switching lanes without properly checking what's next to me (thumbs up for blind spot monitors!) and reacting more slowly to errant driving on the part of others. But the biggest problem I have is at night. Around here it's not a big deal but if I had to drive in Dallas, for example, through a bunch of construction at 10pm I'd best have a younger copilot on board I can turn the wheel over to. Cataracts are starting to appear, there's evidence of macular degeneration in my left eye and there's simply no getting around nighttime vision deterioration with age.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts