Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother called me today slurring her words saying she is having a stroke. I raced over there (about 4 miles away) and met up with the paramedics. She could barely talk, and had no movement on the entire left side of her body. The doc says that we can try a treatment that will thin out her blood which may break up the clot, but the down side is that if she starts any internal bleeding, there isn't much they can do as the blood won't clot. After several hours, she managed to get full movement back!!

No droopy mouth, hand and arm works great, considering all the wiring and tubes going to her. Doc says she's not out of the woods yet, as it's common to suffer a second stroke in the next 24 to 48 hours. She's in ICU at the moment, and they will be watching her closely. Doc says that if all goes well in the next 3 days, she should make a full recovery.

The hardest part for me anyway, was being the only one in my family to remain calm and positive because my 2 sisters weren't dealing with this too well, and my dad was a little iffy. I finally broke down a little when I got home.

Thanks for listening, I needed to talk it out a little.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Scary stuff man, I hope everything turns out for the best for her.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Very sorry to hear about our Mom, but sounds like she's gonna pull through okay!! Prayers Sent :cool:

Rick

·
King Shit on Turd Island
33,367 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear this, I'm hoping and praying for your mother to make a full recovery. I don't know how well I'd do if I were on your situation, that's rough.

·
UP ON JACK STANDS
4,193 Posts
I can relate, my dad went through a mild one several years ago. I could tell something wasn't right with his mouth. He is one of those stubborn old guys that won't go to a hospital. I finally got him to go two days later! They could not really find anything that time and his symtoms eventually went away. Then he had one about 2 1/2 years ago that was much worse. It affected the left side of his body. Same thing though, wouldn't go to the doctor. Finally went and found out he had high blood pressure from eating all kinds of junk food. He went to rehab and is pretty much back to normal now but still eats whatever he wants. I am waiting for round three. I hope things work out for you and your mom, she may just get lucky. Hang in there!!

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,392 Posts
Blue,

My wife works in the ICU department at the local hospital. She says its nice to have somebody who is calm and with their wits about them to talk to and deal with.

Hope all goes well... Your in my prayers...

Vanilla

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks alot guys, it means a lot to me. When I was talking to my mom before I left, she was counting her blessings because: 1. She almost decided to take a nap, but she thought her blood sugar level was low, so she went to make toast and jelly, but she couldn't hold onto the jar, and it fell to the floor. That was when she knew it had to be a stroke. 2: She fell into a chair in the kitchen and the cordless phone just happened to be right there in her reach. If she couldn't get to the phone, she would've had to wait until my dad got home from work which would have been 4 hours later. Paramedics had her at the hospital within the 1st hour.

Vanilla, which hospital does your wife work? Mom's at Condell in Libertyville.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Don, prayers sent for your Mom. I hope all turns out well.....Ed

·
Registered
434 Posts
Very sorry to hear that you and your family had to go through this. Hope your mothers future remains healthy and best wishes to your family.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts