Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sticking out a feeler here.

I came across a 1968 Camaro that is a California car (no rust). It has a title, VIN tag, and the steel body is intact from the firewall back. It has the original steel including roof, floor pans, quarters, steel dash, trunk, wheel wells, everything from the firewall back undamaged. It has fiberglass doors but no hardware, fiberglass trunk lid, fuel cell, Callies 9" Ford rear end, 3rd member, Ford disc brakes, aftermarket sub frame with leaf springs and traction rods/bars. It was taken apart to make a street legal drag car out of it in 2006 but never finished. Their receipts add up to thousand of dollars.

It has a powder coated frame in front, aftermarket steering column, no wiring, no windows, no interior, no plumbing, no front fenders, no hood, no grille, no bumpers. It has a new radiator support in the box and it has a BeCool aluminum radiator in the box.

It has a 530 CID big block Chevy F-2 Procharged engine complete with serpentine drive, blow through Holley carb plumbed all the way to the procharger including a red procharger blow off valve, World Products/Merlin cast block, Edelbrock aluminum heads, aftermarket rods, crank, professionally assembled by a name brand guy. MSD ignition. It was assembled in 2006, Dyno time only in 2006 then never run. It made over 1,100 hp on a reputable dyno here in SoCal. The dyno sheet says 18 pounds of boost.

It has a California Performance 700R4 rated for 900 hp, torque converter, no driveshaft.

While it's a ways from being anywhere close to be able to run I wonder what kind of value this has now with the grudge racing/no prep going on that requires titled cars with vin tags. To find a decent car to start with with a VIN tag and title that's not got any rust without having to buy a nice street car and rip it apart may be difficult. This just needs to be finished. I have looked at the file on the engine and back in 2006 they spent $20,000 on parts and labor alone for the F-2 procharged engine. The company that built it when I called said the engine alone would be on the downhill side of $30,000 today.

I was thinking of picking it up, pulling the engine and trans out and offering the Camaro for sale separate as a titled 1968 Camaro ready to be built into whatever street legal form of grudge or no prep racing requiring a VIN and title that you would want to do. Then offer the procharged engine and then the trans separately for sale.

Any input? Any ideas on value either way? I am not authorized to post any pictures yet. If I do buy it this week I will.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Car: $8,000 maybe (leaf springs, no bueno). LOTS of variables.

Engine: $12-15,000 maybe

Trans: $1,000 tops

Just my guess

Sticking out a feeler here.

I came across a 1968 Camaro that is a California car (no rust). It has a title, VIN tag, and the steel body is intact from the firewall back. It has the original steel including roof, floor pans, quarters, steel dash, trunk, wheel wells, everything from the firewall back undamaged. It has fiberglass doors but no hardware, fiberglass trunk lid, fuel cell, Callies 9" Ford rear end, 3rd member, Ford disc brakes, aftermarket sub frame with leaf springs and traction rods/bars. It was taken apart to make a street legal drag car out of it in 2006 but never finished. Their receipts add up to thousand of dollars.

It has a powder coated frame in front, aftermarket steering column, no wiring, no windows, no interior, no plumbing, no front fenders, no hood, no grille, no bumpers. It has a new radiator support in the box and it has a BeCool aluminum radiator in the box.

It has a 530 CID big block Chevy F-2 Procharged engine complete with serpentine drive, blow through Holley carb plumbed all the way to the procharger including a red procharger blow off valve, World Products/Merlin cast block, Edelbrock aluminum heads, aftermarket rods, crank, professionally assembled by a name brand guy. MSD ignition. It was assembled in 2006, Dyno time only in 2006 then never run. It made over 1,100 hp on a reputable dyno here in SoCal. The dyno sheet says 18 pounds of boost.

It has a California Performance 700R4 rated for 900 hp, torque converter, no driveshaft.

While it's a ways from being anywhere close to be able to run I wonder what kind of value this has now with the grudge racing/no prep going on that requires titled cars with vin tags. To find a decent car to start with with a VIN tag and title that's not got any rust without having to buy a nice street car and rip it apart may be difficult. This just needs to be finished. I have looked at the file on the engine and back in 2006 they spent $20,000 on parts and labor alone for the F-2 procharged engine. The company that built it when I called said the engine alone would be on the downhill side of $30,000 today.

I was thinking of picking it up, pulling the engine and trans out and offering the Camaro for sale separate as a titled 1968 Camaro ready to be built into whatever street legal form of grudge or no prep racing requiring a VIN and title that you would want to do. Then offer the procharged engine and then the trans separately for sale.

Any input? Any ideas on value either way? I am not authorized to post any pictures yet. If I do buy it this week I will.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Yeah jump all over that! You can easily make money on it. I bet you could offer $7500 or $8000 and take it open. Sounds like they are a motivated seller. I've seen basket cases sell for 15k and they were 6cyl cars or small block cars that didnt run.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll keep you posted. Yea, they just want it gone and don't care. Seems as though the ex bro in law was doing all the work on it for them, ordering parts, etc. He disappeared 13 years ago after dumping his wife/their daughter and family has no clue what to do with it except shove it out of the garage and get rid of it.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,321 Posts
Give 8k for it, sell shell for 7500, engine for $8500 and trans/converter for 1500.

·
Busy being a cunt
30,152 Posts
Give 8k for it, sell shell for 7500, engine for $8500 and trans/converter for 1500.
Usually when people wanna get rid of shit that quick it's usually gone when you get there, in these situations "procrastination" is not your friend.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what it says on the receipt they got from California Performance Transmissions (Art Carr). They gave me all the receipts.

Just because it says so, doesn't mean it's so.

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Probably be a great trans for a street car......race car, not so much. If it was close to me I'd be checking it out. Sounds like a deal.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I picked it up this afternoon. It's pretty dirty from sitting. The next place you'll see it is racingjunk.

Random shots:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shouldn't that roll cage tubing be running to the front of the frame,looks goofy the way it's now?:confused:
I don't think the value is in the car itself, but it is a titled steel body 1968 Camaro with the VIN intact. Someone looking for a decent car to start with that isn't a rust bucket would be the perfect candidate. Doors and trunk lid are fiberglass.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Shouldn't that roll cage tubing be running to the front of the frame,looks goofy the way it's now?:confused:
Structurally they ain't doing a thing.

I don't think the value is in the car itself, but it is a titled steel body 1968 Camaro with the VIN intact. Someone looking for a decent car to start with that isn't a rust bucket would be the perfect candidate. Doors and trunk lid are fiberglass.
Definitely some value in most all the parts. Motor and blower and worth some money. If you picked it up at 10K or less it's a money maker without touching it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where is the rest of the car or is that all you got?
That was my question. The son in law supposedly threw away everything (yea, right). There's a BeCool aluminum radiator new in the box, new radiator support, an aftermarket steering column, B&M shifter, fuel cell, and a bunch of little parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts