Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 06 vehicle about a year ago that was inoperable (Engine and Transmission). The guy had a clear title to the vehicle but he hadn’t registered the vehicle in a year or so. I didn’t send in the title to have it registered in my name because I knew it was going to take a year or so to get it operable. I’ve made the vehicle whole now and want to register it in my name. I got to looking on the title and it states the title needs to be sent in within 90 days of transfer of ownership. We have no emissions testing in our area what can I expect from the (in Georgia it’s the Department of Revenue) DMV? I also have a 31Chevy 3 window coming together soon also that hasn’t ever been titled it doesn’t have the tag on the firewall.

·
broke phucker
5,523 Posts
Here in Texas, what I usually do is just put the title in my name without even registering it because I know it isn't street ready. They will fine you for not doing it in a proper time but not sure of other state laws.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
I am not sure what to tell you. Back in the day when I did not have a title on an old muscle or collector car, I could get a insurance bond on the car in your state of Georgia. That would get me Georgia title in 90 days. If I remember all of that right lol. We called it title washing on Louisiana cars that had salvage titles because the Georgia title would not be branded. I would think that you would have fines to pay but should be able to get a title.
Here is an idea. Bring it all to auto title company and let them look at it.
They know all the tricks and have see it all

·
Registered
264 Posts
My suggestion is to talk to people in your area that have done similar things as far as fixing cars up over a period of time. Or if you have too, ask a car dealership...anyone who deals with lots of cars and titles will probably know how the system works around there. Just be cautious at what you say when you are getting the title transfered...don't tell them any more than you have too.

As far as your '31...you can buy a title for that. Look in mags that deal with classic cars, rat rods, etc. There are usually a few advertisements in the back of the mag for that kind of thing.

Good Luck!

·
T5 & T56 building fool
25,285 Posts
Here in Texas, what I usually do is just put the title in my name without even registering it because I know it isn't street ready. They will fine you for not doing it in a proper time but not sure of other state laws.
They only fine you if the title has been dated. It's $25 a month after the 1st 30 days.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This is why I'll never buy a car with a dated title heh. Sign that shit in the signature field and leave every other field blank. I'll fill it in when I'm damn good and ready. This is nothing but another stupid money grab by states.

If it's dated, you're probably up shit creek. If it's not, fill in the date for the day before you show up at the DMV.

·
Registered
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 11 of 11 Posts