Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone buys a vehicle from a used car lot, makes all the payments in full, is the person required to show up and sign the title, or should the car lot just mail the title to the now owner? This is the state of De.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
Don't know about DEL but I would go get the title and make sure the lien was released

·
Registered
28,568 Posts
I've never made payments to the car lot but I've paid cash or financed through a bank and have had the titles sent to me in the mail.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
in fla for the last few years all titles with leans are electronic titles. we just relase the lean and the title must me requested by the owner to be printed

·
Read Only
4,122 Posts
Here in SC, if the lien is through a bank, the car lot is required to send the title to them at the time of purchase. At the end of payments, it is mailed from the bank to the lendee (you) or you pick it up from the bank. Basically, whomever the payments are being made to holds the title until the lien is paid in full.

·
Registered
42,142 Posts
Here in SC, if the lien is through a bank, the car lot is required to send the title to them at the time of purchase. At the end of payments, it is mailed from the bank to the lendee (you) or you pick it up from the bank. Basically, whomever the payments are being made to holds the title until the lien is paid in full.
The car lot never sees the title. The title is produced at DMV after the car is registered and mailed to the lien holder. When paid off, said title has a lien release on the back, sign and mail to owner.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
The buyer should get the title when the car is bought. This title will show that there is a lien and should also name who the lienholder is. As soon as the vehicle is paid off, the lienholder should mail a lien release directly to the car owner. The lien release should then be kept with, or attached to the original title OR the vehicle owner can take the paperwork to DMV and get a new title that shows no lienholders.

·
Registered
42,142 Posts
The buyer should get the title when the car is bought. This title will show that there is a lien and should also name who the lienholder is. As soon as the vehicle is paid off, the lienholder should mail a lien release directly to the car owner. The lien release should then be kept with, or attached to the original title OR the vehicle owner can take the paperwork to DMV and get a new title that shows no lienholders.
There is no title when the car is sold. The state generates a new title after it is registered to the new owner. The dealer has either a Certificate of Origin for a new car or a title from the last registered owner if used.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
If someone buys a vehicle from a used car lot, makes all the payments in full, is the person required to show up and sign the title, or should the car lot just mail the title to the now owner? This is the state of De.
Thanks.
If you bought the car, isn't the lot signing off to YOU? Not you signing it for them? If it's anything like here in Cali, they sign it and mail it to you. Anything requiring your sig should have been done at the initial sale

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
The car lot never sees the title. The title is produced at DMV after the car is registered and mailed to the lien holder. When paid off, said title has a lien release on the back, sign and mail to owner.
If the lot's carrying the loan they'll have the title

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
If you go to the dmv here and want a title transfer ...you pay 20 bucks and get it right then..or wait for it in the mail for free

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
If the lot's carrying the loan they'll have the title
That probably depends on the state. In Idaho they do NOT legally "hold the title." The loan company gets the title modified with a lien, and YOU get the title with the lien printed from the state. When it's paid off, you get the title cleared, and (if you are smart) you then have the DMV send you a clear title.

Let's examine "holding the title."

In Idaho, you, the title owner and registered owner, can go down to the DMV and get a "lost title." Guess what? Now the loan co. would be holding worthless paper. YOU have a new clean title!!!

Let's examine the owner not clearing the title on payoff: The loan has been paid, but the owner does not "clear" and transfer the title. Hell, other than maybe, a receipt for payment of the loan, the owner won't have ANY proof that he/she actually owns the car.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
That probably depends on the state. In Idaho they do NOT legally "hold the title." The loan company gets the title modified with a lien, and YOU get the title with the lien printed from the state. When it's paid off, you get the title cleared, and (if you are smart) you then have the DMV send you a clear title.

Let's examine "holding the title."

In Idaho, you, the title owner and registered owner, can go down to the DMV and get a "lost title." Guess what? Now the loan co. would be holding worthless paper. YOU have a new clean title!!!

Let's examine the owner not clearing the title on payoff: The loan has been paid, but the owner does not "clear" and transfer the title. Hell, other than maybe, a receipt for payment of the loan, the owner won't have ANY proof that he/she actually owns the car.
Yeah, every state's different. I remember when still in New York my Dad said he had 1 set of license plates, for life at the time. He sold a car, he'd keep the plates for the next car. I also remember Uncle Joe saying you had to notify DMV if you changed the color of your car.

·
Previously Banned
10,224 Posts
This is true, they physically hold the titles until the loan is paid.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Haven't financed a car in a long time but, when I did, title was mailed to me with lien holders name on it and I would get a lien release when paid off.

Daughter recently financed a car and, after waiting forever for title to show up in mail, found that in 2012 WI changed the law mailing title to lienholder who releases title to owner when car is paid off.

"bringing us in line with 40 other states" so, this must be the norm although varying from state to state.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts