Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been under the assumption that if you are building a motor to turn over 8000rpms or have heavy valves make the switch to titanium. Whether your building a Ls, SBC gen1, or SBF what is considered a heavy intake or exhaust valve for a solid roller valvetrain? Just curious.

·
Registered
194 Posts
im running titanium in my motor i spin it to 8200

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was running stainless intake valves that weighed 149grams to 8000rpm. Showed no signs of float when inspected. I am now going to ti intake valves that weigh 85grams and looking to spin it a little higher. I was shocked at the weight difference so I would say run ti valves when it can be fit into the budget.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was running stainless intake valves that weighed 149grams to 8000rpm. Showed no signs of float when inspected. I am now going to ti intake valves that weigh 85grams and looking to spin it a little higher. I was shocked at the weight difference so I would say run ti valves when it can be fit into the budget.
Nice to hear some feedback. I'm at 125g on the intake and 95 on the exhaust with spring pressure at 315/810. Realistically motor should make peak hp between 7500 to 7800 RPMs. Hopefully shouldn't run into valve float below 8000 RPMs.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Nice to hear some feedback. I'm at 125g on the intake and 95 on the exhaust with spring pressure at 315/810. Realistically motor should make peak hp between 7500 to 7800 RPMs. Hopefully shouldn't run into valve float below 8000 RPMs.
What type of motor, .. how much lift and duration, .. etc, ..
really need more info then what was given, ..

I use Ti whenever I can

curtis

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I perfer Tit on both int. & Exh but at a minimum i use Tit on the intake as they are much heavier than the exh valves, Tit usually weighs around half as much , springs seem to last longer too with the Tit

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
steel valves on the spin tron will scare you. not good. almost all japanese racing engines come with titanium valves stock now. so there you go , japs know how to do it.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
not sure on the weight difference but i went from a 2.300 manley titainium to a 2.350 ferrea titainium valve and it weighs a lot more the head looks to be 1/3 thicker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts